How much would banks be willing to pay to become \\"too-big-to-fail\\" and to capture other benefits?
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Houston, Joel F. & James, Christopher M. & Ryngaert, Michael D., 2001. "Where do merger gains come from? Bank mergers from the perspective of insiders and outsiders," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(2-3), pages 285-331, May.
- Penas, Maria Fabiana & Unal, Haluk, 2004. "Gains in bank mergers: Evidence from the bond markets," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 149-179, October.
- Schmid, Markus M. & Walter, Ingo, 2009.
"Do financial conglomerates create or destroy economic value?,"
Journal of Financial Intermediation,
Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 193-216, April.
- Ingo Walter & Markus M. Schmid, 2006. "Do Financial Conglomerates Create or Destroy Economic Value?," Working Papers 06-28, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Kane, Edward J, 2000.
"Incentives for Banking Megamergers: What Motives Might Regulators Infer from Event-Study Evidence?,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 32(3), pages 671-701, August.
- Edward J. Kane, 2000. "Incentives for banking megamergers: what motives might regulators infer from event-study evidence?," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, pages 671-705.
- Edward J. Kane, 2000. "Incentives for banking megamergers: what motives might regulations infer from event-study evidence?," Proceedings 675, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-838, May.
- Benston, George J & Hunter, William C & Wall, Larry D, 1995. "Motivations for Bank Mergers and Acquisitions: Enhancing the Deposit Insurance Put Option versus Earnings Diversification," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 27(3), pages 777-788, August.
- Huberto M. Ennis & H. S. Malek, 2005. "Bank risk of failure and the too-big-to-fail policy," Economic Quarterly, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, issue spr, pages 21-44.
- Donald P. Morgan & Kevin J. Stiroh, 2005. "Too big to fail after all these years," Staff Reports 220, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Carow, Kenneth A. & Kane, Edward J. & Narayanan, Rajesh P., 2006.
"How Have Borrowers Fared in Banking Megamergers?,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 38(3), pages 821-836, April.
- Kenneth A. Carow & Edward J. Kane & Rajesh Narayanan, 2003. "How Have Borrowers Fared in Banking Mega-Mergers?," NBER Working Papers 10623, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Edward J. Kane & Rajesh P. Narayanan & Kenneth A. Carow, 2005. "How have borrowers fared in banking mega-mergers?," Working Paper Series 2005-09, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, revised 2005.
- Lazarus Angbazo & Anthony Saunders, "undated". "The Effect of TBTF Deregulation on Bank Cost of Funds," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 97-25, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Brickley, James A. & James, Christopher M., 1986. "Access to deposit insurance, insolvency rules and the stock returns of financial institutions," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 345-371, July.
- Thomas M. Hoenig, 1999. "Financial industry megamergers and policy challenges," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, issue qiii, pages 7-13.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Hagendorff, Jens & Hernando, Ignacio & Nieto, Maria J. & Wall, Larry D., 2012.
"What do premiums paid for bank M&As reflect? The case of the European Union,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 749-759.
- Jens Hagendorff & Ignacio Hernando & María J. Nieto & Larry D. Wall, 2010. "What do premiums paid for bank M&As reflect? The case of the European Union," Working Papers 1011, Banco de España;Working Papers Homepage.
- Jens Hagendorff & Ignacio Hernando & Maria J. Nieto & Larry D. Wall, 2010. "What do premiums paid for bank M&As reflect? the case of the European Union," FRB Atlanta Working Paper 2010-05, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- repec:spr:reaccs:v:22:y:2017:i:4:d:10.1007_s11142-017-9419-x is not listed on IDEAS
- Jens Hagendorff & Maria J. Nieto & Larry D. Wall, 2012. "The safety and soundness effects of bank M&A in the EU," FRB Atlanta Working Paper 2012-13, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Jens Hagendorff & Maria J. Nieto, 2015.
"The Safety and Soundness Effects of Bank M&A in the EU: Does Prudential Regulation Have any Impact?,"
European Financial Management,
European Financial Management Association, vol. 21(3), pages 462-490, June.
- Jens Hagendorff & María J. Nieto & Larry D. Wall, 2012. "The safety and soundness effects of bank M&As in the EU: does prudential regulation have any impact?," Working Papers 1236, Banco de España;Working Papers Homepage.
- Ning Gong & Kenneth D. Jones, 2013. "Bailouts, Monitoring, and Penalties: An Integrated Framework of Government Policies to Manage the Too-Big-to-Fail Problem," International Review of Finance, International Review of Finance Ltd., vol. 13(3), pages 299-325, September.
- Elijah Brewer & Ann Marie Klingenhagen, 2010. "Be careful what you wish for: the stock market reactions to bailing out large financial institutions: Evidence from the USA," Journal of Financial Regulation and Compliance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 18(1), pages 56-69, February.
- Phil Molyneux & Klaus Schaeck & Tim Zhou, 2011. "‘Too Systemically Important to Fail’ in Banking," Working Papers 11011, Bangor Business School, Prifysgol Bangor University (Cymru / Wales).
- Acharya, Viral & Anginer, Deniz & Warburton, Joe, 2016. "The End of Market Discipline? Investor Expectations of Implicit Government Guarantees," MPRA Paper 79700, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Priyank Gandhi & Hanno Lustig, 2010. "Size Anomalies in U.S. Bank Stock Returns: A Fiscal Explanation," NBER Working Papers 16553, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bleuel, Hans-H., 2009. "The German banking system and the global financial crisis: causes, developments and policy responses," Duesseldorf Working Papers in Applied Management and Economics 08, Duesseldorf University of Applied Sciences.
- Molyneux, Philip & Schaeck, Klaus & Zhou, Tim Mi, 2014. "‘Too systemically important to fail’ in banking – Evidence from bank mergers and acquisitions," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 49(PB), pages 258-282.
More about this item
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-BAN-2007-08-18 (Banking)
- NEP-COM-2007-08-18 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-REG-2007-08-18 (Regulation)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedkrw:rwp07-05. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lu Dayrit). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/frbkcus.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.