Heterogeneous workers, optimal job seeking, and aggregate labor market dynamics
In the United States, the aggregate vacancy-unemployment (V/U) ratio is strongly procyclical, and a large fraction of its adjustment associated with changes in productivity is sluggish. The latter is entirely unexplained by the benchmark homogeneous-agent model of equilibrium unemployment theory. I show that endogenous search and worker-side horizontal heterogeneity in production capacity can be important in accounting for this propagation puzzle. Driven by differences in unemployed and on-the-job seekers' search incentives, the probability that any given firm with a job opening matches with a worker endowed with a comparative advantage in that job exhibits a stage of procyclical slow-moving adjustment. Consequently, so do the expected gains from posting vacancies and, hence, the V/U ratio. The model has channels through which the majority of both the V/U ratio's sluggish-adjustment properties and its elasticity with respect to output per worker can be accounted for.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 20th Street and Constitution Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20551|
Web page: http://www.federalreserve.gov/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.federalreserve.gov/pubs/ifdp/order.htm|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ramey, Garey & Fujita, Shigeru, 2006.
"Job Matching and Propagation,"
University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series
qt53s671h7, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Dale T. Mortensen, 2005.
"More on Unemployment and Vacancy Fluctuations,"
2005 Meeting Papers
326, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Dale T. Mortensen & Eva Nagypal, 2005. "More on Unemployment and Vacancy Fluctuations," NBER Working Papers 11692, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mortensen, Dale T. & Nagypál, Éva, 2005. "More on Unemployment and Vacancy Fluctuations," IZA Discussion Papers 1765, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Hagedorn, Marcus & Manovskii, Iourii, 2008.
"The cyclical behavior of equilibrium unemployment and vacancies revisited,"
Working Paper Series
0853, European Central Bank.
- Marcus Hagedorn & Iourii Manovskii, 2008. "The Cyclical Behavior of Equilibrium Unemployment and Vacancies Revisited," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 98(4), pages 1692-1706, September.
- Marcus Hagedorn & Iourii Manovskii, 2007. "The Cyclical Behavior of Equilibrium Unemployment and Vacancies Revisited," IEW - Working Papers 351, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- Marcus Hagedorn & Iourii Manovskii, 2005. "The Cyclical Behavior of Equilibrium Unemployment and Vacancies Revisited," 2005 Meeting Papers 460, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Dolado, Juan J. & Jansen, Marcel & Jimeno, Juan F., 2003.
"On-the-Job Search in a Matching Model with Heterogenous Jobs and Workers,"
IZA Discussion Papers
886, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- JuanJ. Dolado & Marcel Jansen & JuanF. Jimeno, 2009. "On-the-Job Search in a Matching Model with Heterogeneous Jobs and Workers," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 119(534), pages 200-228, 01.
- Juan J. Dolado & Marcel Jansen & Juan F. Jimeno, 2008. "On the job search in a matching model with heterogeneous jobs and workers," Working Papers 0813, Banco de España;Working Papers Homepage.
- Dolado, Juan J. & Jansen, Marcel & Jimeno, Juan F, 2003. "On-the-Job Search in a Matching Model with Heterogeneous Jobs and Workers," CEPR Discussion Papers 4094, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Juan J. Dolado & Marcel Jansen & Juan F. Jimeno, . "On-the-Job Search in a Matching Model with Heterogenous Jobs and Workers," Working Papers 2003-21, FEDEA.
- Michael Pries, 2008. "Worker Heterogeneity and Labor Market Volatility in Matching Models," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 11(3), pages 664-678, July.
- Chassamboulli Andri, 2011.
"Cyclical Upgrading of Labor and Employment Differences across Skill Groups,"
The B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics,
De Gruyter, vol. 11(1), pages 1-42, May.
- Andri Chassamboulli, 2010. "Cyclical Upgrading of Labor and Employment Differences across Skill Groups," University of Cyprus Working Papers in Economics 14-2010, University of Cyprus Department of Economics.
- Christopher A. Pissarides, 2000. "Equilibrium Unemployment Theory, 2nd Edition," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262161877, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedgif:1053. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Franz Osorio)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.