Optimal taxation of capital income in a growth model with monopoly profits
An extension of the standard neoclassical growth model, demonstrating that the optimal steady-state tax on capital income can be positive, negative, or zero, depending on the level of monopoly profits and the degree to which profits can be taxed.
|Date of creation:||1995|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1455 East 6th St., Cleveland OH 44114|
Web page: http://www.clevelandfed.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cooley, T.F. & Hansen, G.D., 1991.
"The Distortions in a Neoclassical Monetary Economy,"
91-01, Rochester, Business - General.
- Cooley, Thomas F. & Hansen, Gary D., 1992. "Tax distortions in a neoclassical monetary economy," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 58(2), pages 290-316, December.
- Cooley, T.F. & Hansen, G.D., 1991. "Tax Distortions in a Neoclassical Monetary Economy," RCER Working Papers 265, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Thomas F. Cooley & Gary D. Hansen, 1991. "Tax distortions in a neoclassical monetary economy," Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics 38, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Ellen R. McGrattan & Richard Rogerson & Randall Wright, 1993. "Household production and taxation in the stochastic growth model," Staff Report 166, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Basu, S.: Fernald, J.G., 1993.
"Constant Returns and Small Markups in U.S. Manufacturing,"
93-19, Michigan - Center for Research on Economic & Social Theory.
- Susanto Basu & John G. Fernald, 1994. "Constant returns and small markups in U.S. manufacturing," International Finance Discussion Papers 483, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Benhabib, Jess & Farmer, Roger E.A., 1991.
"Indeterminacy and Increasing Returns,"
91-59, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Aiyagari, S Rao, 1995.
"Optimal Capital Income Taxation with Incomplete Markets, Borrowing Constraints, and Constant Discounting,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 103(6), pages 1158-75, December.
- S. Rao Aiyagari, 1994. "Optimal capital income taxation with incomplete markets, borrowing constraints, and constant discounting," Working Papers 508, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Kenneth L. Judd, 1982.
"Redistributive Taxation in a Simple Perfect Foresight Model,"
572, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Judd, Kenneth L., 1985. "Redistributive taxation in a simple perfect foresight model," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 59-83, October.
- Enrique G. Mendoza & Linda L. Tesar, 1995.
"Supply-side economics in a global economy,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
507, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Jones, Larry E. & Manuelli, Rodolfo E. & Rossi, Peter E., 1997.
"On the Optimal Taxation of Capital Income,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 93-117, March.
- Mendoza, Enrique G. & Razin, Assaf & Tesar, Linda L., 1994.
"Effective tax rates in macroeconomics: Cross-country estimates of tax rates on factor incomes and consumption,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 297-323, December.
- Enrique G. Mendoza & Assaf Razin & Linda L. Tesar, 1994. "Effective Tax Rates in Macroeconomics: Cross-Country Estimates of Tax Rates on Factor Incomes and Consumption," NBER Working Papers 4864, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- V. V. Chari & Lawrence J. Christiano & Patrick J. Kehoe, 1993.
"Optimal Fiscal Policy in a Business Cycle Model,"
NBER Working Papers
4490, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- J. E. Stiglitz & P. Dasgupta, 1971.
"Differential Taxation, Public Goods, and Economic Efficiency,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 38(2), pages 151-174.
- Joseph E. Stiglitz & Partha Dasgupta, 1970. "Differential Taxation, Public Goods, and Economic Efficiency," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 299, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Finn E. Kydland & Edward C. Prescott, 1990. "Business cycles: real facts and a monetary myth," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Spr, pages 3-18.
- Richard Rogerson, 2010.
"Indivisible Labor, Lotteries and Equilibrium,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
250, David K. Levine.
- Christiano, Lawrence J., 1988. "Why does inventory investment fluctuate so much?," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(2-3), pages 247-280.
- Lucas, Robert E, Jr, 1990. "Supply-Side Economics: An Analytical Review," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 42(2), pages 293-316, April.
- Hansen, Gary D., 1985.
"Indivisible labor and the business cycle,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 309-327, November.
- Barro, Robert J. & Sahasakul, Chaipat, 1986.
"Average Marginal Tax Rates from Social Security and the Individual Income Tax,"
3451298, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Barro, Robert J & Sahasakul, Chaipat, 1986. "Average Marginal Tax Rates from Social Security and the Individual Income Tax," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 59(4), pages 555-66, October.
- Robert J. Barro & Chaipat Sahasakul, 1983. "Average Marginal Tax Rates from Social Security and the Individual Income Tax," NBER Working Papers 1214, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jan-Ting Guo & Kevin J. Lansing, 1997. "Tax structure and welfare in a model of optimal fiscal policy," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, issue Q I, pages 11-23.
- Mendoza, Enrique G & Tesar, Linda L, 1998.
"The International Ramifications of Tax Reforms: Supply-Side Economics in a Global Economy,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 88(1), pages 226-45, March.
- Chamley, Christophe, 1986. "Optimal Taxation of Capital Income in General Equilibrium with Infinite Lives," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(3), pages 607-22, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedcwp:9510. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (4D Library)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.