Early retirement policy in the presence of competing exit pathways: Evidence from policy reforms in Finland
A majority of older Finns withdraw from employment via early retirement schemes years before the statutory retirement age. Over the past 15 years, a series of policy reforms have been introduced to reduce the widespread use of early exit pathways. By exploiting variation in eligibility rules between different cohorts, this study examines the effects of changes in the eligibility age thresholds for unemployment and part-time pension schemes and the effect of tightening medical criteria for disability pension eligibility. The findings imply that these reforms have jointly raised the average age at which older workers leave employment by 3.9 months. This increase is mainly due to a sharp drop in disability pension enrolment from age 58 upwards and to a lower incidence of unemployment at younger ages. The policy effects are found to be heterogeneous, so that different subgroups were affected by different reforms.
|Date of creation:||12 Nov 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Arkadiankatu 7, P.O. Box 1279, FI-00101 Helsinki|
Phone: +358 295 519 400
Fax: +358 295 519 599
Web page: http://www.vatt.fi/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tomi Kyyrä & Ralf Wilke, 2004.
"Reduction in the Long-Term Unemployment of the Elderly: A Success Story from Finland,"
346, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT).
- Tomi Kyyrä & Ralf A. Wilke, 2007. "Reduction in the Long-Term Unemployment of the Elderly: A Success Story from Finland," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 5(1), pages 154-182, 03.
- Kyyrä, Tomi & Wilke, Ralf A., 2004. "Reduction in the Long-Term Unemployment of the Elderly: A Success Story from Finland," ZEW Discussion Papers 04-63, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Karlström, Anders & Palme, Mårten & Svensson, Ingemar, 2008.
"The employment effect of stricter rules for eligibility for DI: Evidence from a natural experiment in Sweden,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 92(10-11), pages 2071-2082, October.
- Karlström, Anders & Palme, Mårten & Svensson, Ingemar, 2008. "The Employment Effect of Stricter Rules for Eligibility for DI: Evidence from a Natural Experiment in Sweden," Research Papers in Economics 2008:3, Stockholm University, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fer:wpaper:17. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anita Niskanen)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.