Fiscal Policy Coordination in OECD Countries
This paper deals with fiscal policy coordination. In specifically it focuses on the question of how fiscal policy can be coordinated in the world where countries differ a lot in terms of cyclical behaviour and importance of country-specific shocks and well as the fiscal policy multipliers. To answer this question, we compute cyclical sensitivity measures for different components of the deficit variable and the discretionary measure of fiscal policy for all OECD countries for the period 1960-1996. For that purpose, we use the Blanchard Fiscal Impulse (BFI) measure. The cross-country behaviour and the GDP effects of these measures are then scrutinized. The outcome of this analysis is that very little evidence of fiscal policy coordination can be detected. This result holds even if we take into account the forecast errors in terms of GDP growth.
|Date of creation:||01 Jan 1998|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Arkadiankatu 7, P.O. Box 1279, FI-00101 Helsinki|
Phone: +358 295 519 400
Fax: +358 295 519 599
Web page: http://www.vatt.fi/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Olivier Jean Blanchard, 1990. "Suggestions for a New Set of Fiscal Indicators," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 79, OECD Publishing.
- Ray C. Fair, 1977. "On Modeling the Economic Linkages among Countries," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 465, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Tanzi, Vito & Schuknecht, Ludger, 1997. "Reconsidering the Fiscal Role of Government: The International Perspective," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(2), pages 164-68, May.
- W. Max Corden, 1985. "On Transmission and Coordination Under Flexible Exchange Rates," NBER Chapters, in: International Economic Policy Coordination, pages 8-36 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sutherland, Alan, 1995.
"Fiscal Crises and Aggregate Demand: Can High Public Debt Reverse the Effects of Fiscal Policy?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1246, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Sutherland, Alan, 1997. "Fiscal crises and aggregate demand: can high public debt reverse the effects of fiscal policy?," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(2), pages 147-162, August.
- Alan Sutherland, . "Fiscal Crises and Aggregate Demand: Can High Public Debt Reverse the Effects of Fiscal Policy?," Discussion Papers 95/17, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Jose Vinals & Juan F. Jimeno, .
"Monetary union and european unemployment,"
- Canzoneri, Matthew B & Gray, Jo Anna, 1985. "Monetary Policy Games and the Consequences of Non-cooperative Behavior," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 26(3), pages 547-64, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fer:dpaper:160. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anita Niskanen)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.