Development Finance for Universal Energy Access
The United Nations General Assembly declared 2012 the “International Year of Sustainable Energy for All”, officially recognising the urgent need to put energy at the centre of the global development agenda. In parallel, a strong international policy effort is being made to achieve the goal of universal energy access to modern energy services by 2030. To support these efforts, a dramatic scaling-up of financing to the energy sector will be required through official development aid, other official flows, climate financing and various private flows. In this paper we analyse the recent evolution of development policies and finance for the energy sector using both descriptive and analytical tools. We find that, although development finance for the energy sector rose considerably during the past decade, the financial flows have not been directed towards the countries with the lowest levels of energy access.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.feem.it/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sioshansi, Fereidoon P., 2006. "Electricity Market Reform: What Have We Learned? What Have We Gained?," The Electricity Journal, Elsevier, vol. 19(9), pages 70-83, November.
- Alberto Alesina & David Dollar, 1998.
"Who Gives Foreign Aid to Whom and Why?,"
NBER Working Papers
6612, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rosenzweig, Michael B. & Voll, Sarah P. & Pabon-Agudelo, Carlos, 2004. "Power Sector Reform: Experiences from the Road," The Electricity Journal, Elsevier, vol. 17(9), pages 16-28, November.
- Baulch, Bob, 2006. "Aid distribution and the MDGs," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 34(6), pages 933-950, June.
- Owen O'Donnell & Eddy van Doorslaer & Adam Wagstaff & Magnus Lindelow, 2008. "Analyzing Health Equity Using Household Survey Data : A Guide to Techniques and Their Implementation," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 6896, October.
- Barnett, Andrew, 1993. "Aid donor policies and power sector performance in developing countries," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 100-113, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fem:femwpa:2012.12. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (barbara racah)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.