Lender and Borrower as Principal and Agent
This paper provides a critical survey of some recent developments in the principal-agent approach to the relationship between lenders and borrowers. The costly state verification model of optimal debt contract is introduced and new results with respect to optimality of standard debt contracts in this model are discussed. Adverse selection in credit markets and its solution with a menu of screening contracts is described and the problems with collateral as a screening instrument are outlined. The dynamic relationship between the lender and borrower is introduced in a soft budget constraint model of default and bankruptcy decisions. Alternative assumptions about informational asymmetries in credit markets are presented as well. For all these topics a number of references from Czech and international economic literature is provided.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2006|
|Date of revision:||Jul 2006|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +420 2 222112330
Fax: +420 2 22112304
Web page: http://ies.fsv.cuni.cz/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- J�nos Kornai & Eric Maskin & G�rard Roland, 2003.
"Understanding the Soft Budget Constraint,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 41(4), pages 1095-1136, December.
- J. Kornai & E. Maskin & G. Roland., 2004. "Understanding the Soft Budget Constraint," VOPROSY ECONOMIKI, N.P. Redaktsiya zhurnala "Voprosy Economiki", vol. 11.
- J. Kornai & E. Maskin & G. Roland., 2004. "Understanding the Soft Budget Constraint," VOPROSY ECONOMIKI, N.P. Redaktsiya zhurnala "Voprosy Economiki", vol. 12.
- Rui Zhao, 2001. "Repeated Two-Sided Moral Hazard," Discussion Papers 01-07, University at Albany, SUNY, Department of Economics.
- Manove, Michael & Padilla, A Jorge & Pagano, Marco, 2001. "Collateral versus Project Screening: A Model of Lazy Banks," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 32(4), pages 726-44, Winter.
- Border, Kim C & Sobel, Joel, 1987. "Samurai Accountant: A Theory of Auditing and Plunder," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 54(4), pages 525-40, October.
- Corrado Benassi & Antonello E. Scorcu, 2003.
"Indexation Rules, Risk Aversion and Imperfect Information,"
University of Manchester, vol. 71(3), pages 330-340, 06.
- C. Benassi & A. E. Scorcu, 2002. "Indexation Rules, Risk Aversion, and Imperfect Information," Working Papers 450, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Karel Janda, 2002. "A model of a competitive credit market in the conditions of imperfect information," Politická ekonomie, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2002(4).
- Ondøej Knot & Ondøej Vychodil, 2005. "What Drives the Optimal Bankruptcy Law Design? (in English)," Czech Journal of Economics and Finance (Finance a uver), Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, vol. 55(3-4), pages 110-123, March.
- Manove, M. & Padilla, A.J. & Pagano, M., 1998.
"Collateral vs. Project Screening: a Model of Lazy Banks,"
9807, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Y Financieros-.
- Manove, Michael & Padilla, Atilano Jorge & Pagano, Marco, 2000. "Collateral Vs. Project Screening: A Model Of Lazy Banks," CEPR Discussion Papers 2439, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Michael Manove & A. Jorge Padilla & Marco Pagano, 1998. "Collateral vs. Project Screening: A Model of Lazy Banks," CSEF Working Papers 10, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy.
- Monnet, Cyril & Quintin, Erwan, 2002.
"Optimal contracts in a dynamic costly state verification model,"
Working Paper Series
0126, European Central Bank.
- Cyril Monnet & Erwan Quintin, 2005. "Optimal contracts in a dynamic costly state verification model," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 26(4), pages 867-885, November.
- Williamson, Stephen D, 1987.
"Costly Monitoring, Loan Contracts, and Equilibrium Credit Rationing,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 102(1), pages 135-45, February.
- Stephen D. Williamson, 1984. "Costly Monitoring, Loan Contracts and Equilibrium Credit Rationing," Working Papers 572, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Robert Townsend, 1979.
"Optimal contracts and competitive markets with costly state verification,"
45, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Townsend, Robert M., 1979. "Optimal contracts and competitive markets with costly state verification," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 265-293, October.
- Karel Janda, 2000. "Monopolistic credit market in the conditions of imperfect information," Prague Economic Papers, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2000(3).
- Berger, Allen N & Udell, Gregory F, 1995. "Relationship Lending and Lines of Credit in Small Firm Finance," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 68(3), pages 351-81, July.
- Landier, Augustin & Thesmar, David, 2003. "Financial Contracting with Optimistic Entrepreneurs: Theory and Evidence," CEPR Discussion Papers 3971, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Marek Kapička, 2000. "What are the costs and benefits of privatization?," Politická ekonomie, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2000(2).
- Diamond, Douglas W, 1984. "Financial Intermediation and Delegated Monitoring," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(3), pages 393-414, July.
- Machauer, Achim & Weber, Martin, 1998.
"Bank behavior based on internal credit ratings of borrowers,"
CFS Working Paper Series
1998/08, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Machauer, Achim & Weber, Martin, 1998. "Bank behavior based on internal credit ratings of borrowers," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(10-11), pages 1355-1383, October.
- Allen N. Berger & Gregory F. Udell, 1988.
"Collateral, loan quality, and bank risk,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
51, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Roman Inderst & Holger M. Mueller, 2006.
"Informed Lending and Security Design,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 61(5), pages 2137-2162, October.
- Hellwig, Martin F, 2000.
"Financial Intermediation with Risk Aversion,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 67(4), pages 719-42, October.
- Karel Janda, 2004. "Bankruptcy Procedures with Ex Post Moral Hazard," Working Papers IES 61, Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, Institute of Economic Studies, revised 2004.
- Karel Janda, 2003. "Credit guarantees in a credit market with adverse selection," Prague Economic Papers, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2003(4).
- Erik Hoelzl & Aldo Rustichini, 2005. "Overconfident: Do You Put Your Money On It?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 115(503), pages 305-318, 04.
- Karel Janda, 2006. "Optimal Deterministic Debt Contracts," Working Papers IES 2006/25, Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, Institute of Economic Studies, revised Oct 2006.
- Klapper, Leora, 2001. "The uniqueness of short-term collateralization," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2544, The World Bank.
- Stefan Krasa & Anne P. Villamil, 2000. "Optimal Contracts when Enforcement Is a Decision Variable," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 68(1), pages 119-134, January.
- Patrick Bolton & Mathias Dewatripont, 2005.
MIT Press Books,
The MIT Press,
edition 1, volume 1, number 0262025760, June.
- Robert Cressy & Otto Toivanen, 2001. "Is there adverse selection in the credit market?," Venture Capital, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 3(3), pages 215-238, July.
- Marta Coelho & David de Meza & Diane Reyniers, 2004.
"Irrational Exuberance, Entrepreneurial Finance and Public Policy,"
International Tax and Public Finance,
Springer, vol. 11(4), pages 391-417, 08.
- Marta Coelho & David de Meza & Diane J. Reyniers, 2004. "Irrational exuberance, entrepreneurial finance and public policy," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 17279, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Mookherjee, Dilip & Png, Ivan, 1989. "Optimal Auditing, Insurance, and Redistribution," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 104(2), pages 399-415, May.
- Timothy Curry & Joseph Blalock & Rebel Cole, 1991. "Recoveries on Distressed Real Estate and The Relative Efficiency of Public versus Private Management," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 19(4), pages 495-515.
- Besanko, David & Thakor, Anjan V, 1987. "Collateral and Rationing: Sorting Equilibria in Monopolistic and Competitive Credit Markets," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 28(3), pages 671-89, October.
- Jiří Hlaváček & Michal Hlaváček, 2006. ""Principal - Agent" Problem in the Context of the Economic Survival," Acta Oeconomica Pragensia, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2006(3), pages 18-33.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fau:wpaper:wp2006_24. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lenka Herrmannova)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.