Does the Acquisition of Mines by Firms in Resource-importing Countries Decrease Resource Prices?
This paper examines both theoretically and empirically the effects of the acquisition of mines by firms in resource-importing countries on resource prices. In the theoretical part, we consider a simple two-period model. We demonstrate that the acquisition of mines may increase either present or future resource prices. This implies that the consumption of resources in either period may decrease. Strategic behavior of a resource-mining firm, demand for final goods, and extraction costs play key roles. In the empirical part, using a dynamic panel model and oil price data, we estimate the effect of the acquisition of mines on resource prices. We find that prices in the present period increase, while those in the future period decrease.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.rieti.go.jp/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sadorsky, Perry A., 1992. "Industry size and 'destructive competition' in cournot oligopoly models of exhaustible resource exploration and extraction," Resources and Energy, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 249-257, September.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bond, Stephen, 1991.
"Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(2), pages 277-97, April.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to replicate Arellano-Bond 1991 dynamic panel," Statistical Software Components RTZ00169, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Blundell, Richard & Bond, Stephen, 1998.
"Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 115-143, August.
- Blundell, R. & Bond, S., 1995. "Initial Conditions and Moment Restrictions in Dynamic Panel Data Models," Economics Papers 104, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- R Blundell & Steven Bond, . "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data model," Economics Papers W14&104., Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Richard Blundell & Steve Bond, 1995. "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models," IFS Working Papers W95/17, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- James D. Hamilton, 2009.
"Understanding Crude Oil Prices,"
The Energy Journal,
International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 2), pages 179-206.
- Gilbert, Richard J. & Goldman, Steven M., 1978. "Potential competition and the monopoly price of an exhaustible resource," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 319-331, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eti:dpaper:13073. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (NUKATANI Sorahiko)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.