R&D Investment and Productivity: A comparative study of Japanese and Korean firms
In this paper, using a large-scale dataset covering both Japanese and Korean firms, we examine the differences in performance and research and development (R&D) activities between them. We find that Japanese firms tend to be more productive in terms of total factor productivity (TFP), and that the productivity gap has not been narrowing in most industries. However, Korean firms are superior in terms of labor productivity and profitability. On the other hand, in recent years, Korean firms on average have tended to have a higher R&D intensity. In particular, smaller Korean firms have been actively increasing their R&D expenditures. We also find that the rate of return on R&D for large/productive firms is much higher in Korea, while that for small/less productive firms does not significantly differ. The relatively low rate of return for small/less productive firms may explain why Korea's average TFP level is not catching up with that of Japan. On the other hand, the rate of return on R&D for large firms is low in Japan, warranting further investigation on the factors underlying this.
|Date of creation:||May 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.rieti.go.jp/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Oh, Inha & Heshmati, Almas & Baek, Chulwoo & Lee, Jeong-Dong, 2006.
"Comparative Analysis of Firm Dynamics by Size: Korean Manufacturing,"
Ratio Working Papers
94, The Ratio Institute.
- Inha Oh & Almas Heshmati & Chulwoo Baek & Jeong-Dong Lee, 2009. "Comparative Analysis Of Plant Dynamics By Size: Korean Manufacturing," The Japanese Economic Review, Japanese Economic Association, vol. 60(4), pages 512-538.
- Bellone, Flora & Kiyota, Kozo & Matsuura, Toshiyuki & Musso, Patrick & Nesta, Lionel, 2014.
"International productivity gaps and the export status of firms: Evidence from France and Japan,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 70(C), pages 56-74.
- Flora Bellone & Kozo Kiyota & Toshiyuki Matsuura & Patrick Musso & Lionel Nesta, 2012. "International Productivity Gaps and the Export Status of Firms: Evidence from France and Japan," GREDEG Working Papers 2012-07, Groupe de REcherche en Droit, Economie, Gestion (GREDEG CNRS), University of Nice Sophia Antipolis, revised Jan 2014.
- Flora BELLONE & KIYOTA Kozo & MATSUURA Toshiyuki & Patrick MUSSO & Lionel NESTA, 2013. "International Productivity Gaps and the Export Status of Firms: Evidence from France and Japan," Discussion papers 13011, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Jorgenson, Dale W. & Kuroda, Masahiro & Nishimizu, Mieko, 1987. "Japan-U.S. industry-level productivity comparisons, 1960-1979," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 1-30, March.
- Kyoji Fukao & Tomohiko Inui & Keiko Ito & Young Gak Kim & Tangjun Yuan, 2009.
"An International Comparison of the TFP Levels and the Productivity Convergence of Japanese, Korean, Taiwanese and Chinese Listed Firms,"
Global COE Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series
gd09-089, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Kyoji Fukao & Tomohiko Inui & Keiko Ito & Young Gak Kim & Tangjun Yuan, 2011. "An international comparison of the TFP levels and the productivity convergence of Japanese, Korean, Taiwanese and Chinese listed firms," Journal of Chinese Economic and Business Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(2), pages 127-150.
- Bartelsman, Eric J & Haskel, Jonathan & Martin, Ralf, 2008. "Distance to Which Frontier? Evidence on Productivity Convergence from International Firm-level Data," CEPR Discussion Papers 7032, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Almas Heshmati & Hyesung Kim, 2011. "The R&D and productivity relationship of Korean listed firms," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 36(2), pages 125-142, October.
- Tomohiko Inui & Hyeog Ug Kwon, 2005. "Nihon seizogyo ni okeru R&D katsudo to seisansei: Kigyo level data ni yoru jisshobunseki (in Japanese)," Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series d05-122, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Moosup Jung & Keun Lee, 2010. "Sectoral systems of innovation and productivity catch-up: determinants of the productivity gap between Korean and Japanese firms," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 19(4), pages 1037-1069, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eti:dpaper:13043. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (NUKATANI Sorahiko)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.