Bank Dependence and Financial Constraints on Investment: Evidence from the corporate bond market paralysis in Japan
This paper investigates the causal relationship between firms' bank dependence and financial constraints by utilizing the 2008 financial crisis and its impact on the Japanese economy as a natural experiment. Since the Japanese banking sector remained healthy while the corporate bond markets were paralyzed, firms that had reduced bank dependence were hit heavily by the shock. I examined whether firms with large holdings of corporate bonds maturing in 2008 were financially constrained, by comparing the changes in their investment expenditures and borrowing conditions with those of bank-dependent firms. The main empirical results show that (1) firms with large holdings of corporate bonds maturing in 2008 did not cut investment expenditures; (2) instead, they observed higher increments in bank loans; and (3) firms that maintained relatively close bank-firm relationships had more access to bank loans with low borrowing costs, but significant differences in investment expenditures were not found. These findings imply that although there is a cost to reducing bank dependence, it is not very high for Japanese listed firms.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.rieti.go.jp/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- R. Glenn Hubbard, 1990. "Introduction to "Asymmetric Information, Corporate Finance, and Investment"," NBER Chapters, in: Asymmetric Information, Corporate Finance, and Investment, pages 1-14 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- R. Glenn Hubbard, 1990. "Asymmetric Information, Corporate Finance, and Investment," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number glen90-1, 07.
- Sheard, Paul, 1989. "The main bank system and corporate monitoring and control in Japan," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 399-422, May.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521845731 is not listed on IDEAS
- Chava, Sudheer & Purnanandam, Amiyatosh, 2011.
"The effect of banking crisis on bank-dependent borrowers,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 99(1), pages 116-135, January.
- Sudheer Chava & Amiyatosh Purnanandam, 2006. "The effect of a banking crisis on bank-dependent borrowers," Proceedings 1030, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Osano, Hiroshi & Tsutsui, Yoshiro, 1985. "Implicit Contracts in the Japanese Bank Loan Market," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 20(02), pages 211-229, June.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521608275 is not listed on IDEAS
- Heitor Almeida & Murillo Campello & Bruno Laranjeira & Scott Weisbenner, 2009. "Corporate Debt Maturity and the Real Effects of the 2007 Credit Crisis," NBER Working Papers 14990, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eti:dpaper:11073. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (NUKATANI Sorahiko)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.