Do Bond Issues Mitigate Hold-up Costs? Evidence from Japan's financial liberalization period
This study is an empirical attempt to investigate whether firms' bond issues mitigate rent extraction by their banks. To that end, I focus on the cash holdings of Japanese listed firms in the early 1980s, when Japanese banks used compensation balances as a device to extract rent from their client firms. Concretely, this study examines whether firms' bond issues lead to a decrease in their cash holdings. The unique feature of this study is its exploitation of the eligibility for bond issues—i.e., Bond Issue Criteria—that formerly existed in Japan to address a possible endogeneity problem. Estimation results from the two-step least squares (2SLS) model and an instrumental variable quantile regression model show that (1) a decline in cash holdings is accompanied by bond issues; and (2) the magnitude of decline becomes larger as the quantile of the conditional distribution of cash holding levels increases. These results imply that bond issues mitigate bank rent extraction, and that the effect is larger for firms facing severe bank power.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.rieti.go.jp/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jeffrey M Wooldridge, 2010.
"Econometric Analysis of Cross Section and Panel Data,"
MIT Press Books,
The MIT Press,
edition 2, volume 1, number 0262232588, June.
- Jeffrey M. Wooldridge, 2001. "Econometric Analysis of Cross Section and Panel Data," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262232197, June.
- Vasso Ioannidou & Steven Ongena, 2010. ""Time for a Change": Loan Conditions and Bank Behavior when Firms Switch Banks," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 65(5), pages 1847-1877, October.
- Hale, Galina & Santos, João A.C., 2009.
"Do banks price their informational monopoly?,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 93(2), pages 185-206, August.
- UCHINO Taisuke, 2011. "Bank Dependence and Financial Constraints on Investment: Evidence from the corporate bond market paralysis in Japan (Japanese)," Discussion Papers (Japanese) 11071, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eti:dpaper:12046. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (NUKATANI Sorahiko)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.