Productivity and Survival of Family Firms in Japan: An Analysis Using Firm-Level Microdata
This article, by using a unique dataset of a large number of Japanese firms, empirically investigates the relationship between the structure of shareholding and productivity, survival, and managerial objectives. The focus is on the distinct traits of family firms, which compose the majority of Japanese firms. According to the results, the managerial objectives and performance of family firms are qualitatively and quantitatively different from those of non-family firms. Specifically, 1) productivity growth of family firms are significantly slower than non-family firms, after controlling for firm size, firm age, and industry; 2) family firms' probability of survival is higher than that of non-family firms; and 3) even after controlling for the high propensity to survive, family firms' productivity growth is slower. As family firms' management objectives are different from non-family firms, these results cannot be interpreted normatively. However, it is desirable to expand ownership options by reducing barriers to going public or transferring ownership.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 11th floor, Annex, Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) 1-3-1, Kasumigaseki Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, 100-8901|
Web page: http://www.rieti.go.jp/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marianne Bertrand & Antoinette Schoar, 2006. "The Role of Family in Family Firms," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 20(2), pages 73-96, Spring.
- Miller, Danny & Le Breton-Miller, Isabelle & Lester, Richard H. & Cannella Jr., Albert A., 2007. "Are family firms really superior performers?," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(5), pages 829-858, December.
- Bagnani, Elizabeth Strock, et al, 1994. " Managers, Owners, and the Pricing of Risky Debt: An Empirical Analysis," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 49(2), pages 453-77, June.
- Mark Doms & Eric J. Bartelsman, 2000.
"Understanding Productivity: Lessons from Longitudinal Microdata,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 38(3), pages 569-594, September.
- Eric J. Bartelsman & Mark Doms, 2000. "Understanding productivity: lessons from longitudinal microdata," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2000-19, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Bloom, Nicholas & Van Reenen, John, 2006.
"Measuring and Explaining Management Practices Across Firms and Countries,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5581, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Nicholas Bloom & John Van Reenen, 2007. "Measuring and Explaining Management Practices Across Firms and Countries," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 122(4), pages 1351-1408.
- Nick Bloom & John Van Reenen, 2006. "Measuring and Explaining Management Practices Across Firms and Countries," NBER Working Papers 12216, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nick Bloom & John Van Reenen, 2006. "Measuring and Explaining Management Practices Across Firms and Countries," CEP Discussion Papers dp0716, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Nick Bloom & John Van Reenen, 2006. "Measuring and explaining management practices across firms and countries," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 733, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Demsetz, Harold & Lehn, Kenneth, 1985. "The Structure of Corporate Ownership: Causes and Consequences," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 93(6), pages 1155-77, December.
- Loderer, Claudio & Martin, Kenneth, 1997. "Executive stock ownership and performance Tracking faint traces," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 223-255, August.
- Jensen, M.C. & Wamer, J.B., 1988.
"The Distribution Of Power Among Corporate Managers, Shareholders, And Directors,"
88-06, Rochester, Business - Managerial Economics Research Center.
- Jensen, Michael C. & Warner, Jerold B., 1988. "The distribution of power among corporate managers, shareholders, and directors," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1-2), pages 3-24, January.
- McConnell, John J. & Servaes, Henri, 1990. "Additional evidence on equity ownership and corporate value," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 595-612, October.
- Lichtenberg, Frank R. & Pushner, George M., 1994.
"Ownership structure and corporate performance in Japan,"
Japan and the World Economy,
Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 239-261, October.
- Frank R. Lichtenberg & George. M Pushner, 1992. "Ownership Structure and Corporate Performance in Japan," NBER Working Papers 4092, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John Palmer, 1973. "The Profit-Performance Effects of the Separation of Ownership from Control in Large U.S. Industrial Corporations," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 4(1), pages 293-303, Spring.
- Cho, Myeong-Hyeon, 1998. "Ownership structure, investment, and the corporate value: an empirical analysis," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 103-121, January.
- Radice, H K, 1971. "Control Type, Profitability and Growth in Large Firms: an Empirical Study," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 81(323), pages 547-62, September.
- Morck, Randall & Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W., 1988. "Management ownership and market valuation : An empirical analysis," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1-2), pages 293-315, January.
- Villalonga, Belen & Amit, Raphael, 2006. "How do family ownership, control and management affect firm value?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 80(2), pages 385-417, May.
- Barth, Erling & Gulbrandsen, Trygve & Schonea, Pal, 2005. "Family ownership and productivity: the role of owner-management," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 11(1-2), pages 107-127, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eti:dpaper:08026. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (NUKATANI Sorahiko)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.