Corporate Finance and Human Resource Management
Corporate governance can be defined to be an institution that constrains relations between corporate managers and various stakeholders, including shareholders, creditors, workers, suppliers, and customers. Under this broad definition, corporate governance is a system of various sub-systems that are complementary to one another. This paper focuses on two sub-systems of the Japanese corporate governance: one on corporate finance and another on human resource management. After briefly documenting the characteristics of the Japanese corporate governance in these two sub-systems, the paper discusses how each sub-system has been going through substantial changes in recent years. Examining the data for 58 listed companies, we find preliminary evidence on the complementarity between the two sub-systems. The firms that have non-traditional ownership structure (especially high foreign ownership) seem to have more non-traditional human resource management practices.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2004|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 11th floor, Annex, Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) 1-3-1, Kasumigaseki Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, 100-8901|
Web page: http://www.rieti.go.jp/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:hrv:faseco:30728046 is not listed on IDEAS
- Tirole, Jean, 2001.
Econometric Society, vol. 69(1), pages 1-35, January.
- Tirole, Jean, 1999. "Corporate Governance," CEPR Discussion Papers 2086, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Tiroley, Jean, 2000. "Corporate Governance," CEI Working Paper Series 2000-1, Center for Economic Institutions, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W, 1997. " A Survey of Corporate Governance," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(2), pages 737-783, June.
- Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1995. "A Survey of Corporate Governance," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1741, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1996. "A Survey of Corporate Governance," NBER Working Papers 5554, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- "Tsuru, Tsuyoshi" & "Abe, Masahiro" & "Kubo, Katsuyuki", 2003. "Pay Structures and the Transformation of Japanese Firms―An Empirical Analysis of Performance and Pay Using Personnel Data―," Economic Review, Hitotsubashi University, vol. 54(3), pages 264-285, July.
- "Hoshi, Takeo", 2002. "Japanese Corporate Governance," Economic Review, Hitotsubashi University, vol. 53(4), pages 289-304, January.
- Takeo Hoshi & Anil Kashyap, 2004. "Corporate Financing and Governance in Japan: The Road to the Future," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262582481, July.
- Kenji Kojima, 1994. "Corporate Governance An International Comparison. 1," Discussion Paper Series 34, Research Institute for Economics & Business Administration, Kobe University.
- Bengt Holmstrom, 1979. "Moral Hazard and Observability," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 10(1), pages 74-91, Spring.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eti:dpaper:04027. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (NUKATANI Sorahiko)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.