Whither Human Capital? The Woeful Tale of Transition to Tertiary Education in India
In this paper the issue of high dropout rates in India is examined which has adverse implications for human capital formation, and hence for the countryâ€™s long term growth potential. Using the 2004-05 National Sample Survey employment-unemployment survey data, transition probabilities of moving from a number of different educational levels to higher educational levels is estimated using a sequential logit model. [WDI WP No. 1019]. URL:[http://wdi.umich.edu/files/publications/workingpapers/wp1019.pdf].
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sarmistha Pal, 2003.
"Child Schooling in Peru: Evidence From A Sequential Analysis of School Progression,"
Labor and Demography
- Sarmistha Pal, 2004. "Child schooling in Peru: Evidence from a sequential analysis of school progression," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 17(4), pages 657-680, December.
- Bargain, Olivier & Bhaumik, Sumon K. & Chakrabarty, Manisha & Zhao, Zhong, 2008.
"Earnings Differences between Chinese and Indian Wage Earners, 1987–2004,"
IZA Discussion Papers
3284, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Olivier Bargain & Sumon Kumar Bhaumik & Manisha Chakrabarty & Zhong Zhao, 2009. "Earnings Differences Between Chinese And Indian Wage Earners, 1987-2004," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 55(s1), pages 562-587, 07.
- Sumon Kumar Bhaumik & Manisha Chakrabarty, 2008.
"Is Education the Panacea for Economic Deprivation of Muslims? Evidence from Wage Earners in India, 1987-2004,"
CEDI Discussion Paper Series
08-02, Centre for Economic Development and Institutions(CEDI), Brunel University.
- Sumon Kumar Bhaumik & Manisha Chakrabarty, 2007. "Is Education the Panacea for Economic Deprivation of Muslims? Evidence from Wage Earners in India, 1987-2004," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series wp858, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Tansel, Aysit, 2002. "Determinants of school attainment of boys and girls in Turkey: individual, household and community factors," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 21(5), pages 455-470, October.
- Sander, William, 1992. "The effects of ethnicity and religion on educational attainment," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 119-135, June.
- Cleland, John G. & van Ginneken, Jerome K., 1988. "Maternal education and child survival in developing countries: The search for pathways of influence," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 27(12), pages 1357-1368, January.
- Tansel, Aysit, 1997. "Schooling Attainment, Parental Education, and Gender in Cote d'Ivoire and Ghana," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 45(4), pages 825-56, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ess:wpaper:id:4782. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Padma Prakash)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.