Designing a property tax without property values: Analysis in the case of Ireland
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Asher Wolinsky, 2000.
"A Market Based Approach to Property Tax,"
1320, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Asher Wolinsky, 2000. "A Market Based Approach to Property Tax," Discussion Papers 1305, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- William C. Goolsby, 1997. "Assessment Error in the Valuation of Owner-Occupied Housing," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 13(1), pages 33-46.
- Jeffrey I. Chapman & Robert J. Johnston & Timothy J. Tyrrell, 2009. "Implications of a Land Value Tax with Error in Assessed Values," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 85(4), pages 576-586.
- McMillen, Daniel P. & Weber, Rachel N., 2008. "Thin Markets and Property Tax Inequities: A Multinomial Logit Approach," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association;National Tax Journal, vol. 61(4), pages 653-671, December.
- Smith, Lawrence B & Rosen, Kenneth T & Fallis, George, 1988. "Recent Developments in Economic Models of Housing Markets," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 26(1), pages 29-64, March.
- Watson, Dorothy & Williams, James, 2003. "Irish National Survey of Housing Quality 2001-2002," Research Series, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI), number BMI173.
- Richard Bird, 1984. "Put up or shut up: Self-assessment and asymmetric information," Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 3(4), pages 618-620.
- Colin Jones & Chris Leishman & Allison M. Orr, 2006. "The potential impact of reforms to the essential parameters of the council tax," Fiscal Studies, Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 27(2), pages 205-229, June.
- Gibb, Kenneth, 1992. "The Council Tax: The Distributional Implications of Returning to a Tax on Property," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 39(3), pages 302-317, August.
- Ronald W. Spahr & Mark A. Sunderman, 1998. "Property Tax Inequities on Ranch and Farm Properties," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 74(3), pages 374-389.
- Marcus T. Allen & William H. Dare, 2002. "Identifying Determinants of Horizontal Property Tax Inequity: Evidence from Florida," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 24(2), pages 153-164.
Blog mentionsAs found by EconAcademics.org, the blog aggregator for Economics research:
- Poll tax to be replaced by property tax
by Richard Tol in The Irish Economy on 2011-12-21 15:07:29
- Property taxes
by Richard Tol in The Irish Economy on 2010-11-15 15:09:04
- Policy seminar on property taxes
by Richard Tol in The Irish Economy on 2010-11-01 20:13:25
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Keane, Claire & Walsh, John R. & Callan, Tim & Savage, Michael, 2012. "Property Tax in Ireland: Key Choices," Papers EC11, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Seth B. Payton, 2012. "The Impact of Property Assessment Standards on Property Tax Burden," Public Finance Review, , vol. 40(5), pages 584-613, September.
- Rachel N. Weber & Daniel P. McMillen, 2010. "Ask and Ye Shall Receive? Predicting the Successful Appeal of Property Tax Assessments," Public Finance Review, , vol. 38(1), pages 74-101, January.
- Gary C. Cornia & Barrett A. Slade, 2005. "Property Taxation of Multifamily Housing: An Empirical Analysis of Vertical and Horizontal Equity and Assessment Methods," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 27(1), pages 17-46.
- Shi, Song & Young, Martin & Hargreaves, Bob, 2009. "Issues in measuring a monthly house price index in New Zealand," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 336-350, December.
- Wouter Vermeulen & J. van Ommeren, 2006. "Compensation of regional unemployment in housing markets," CPB Discussion Paper 57, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Edwin Van Gameren & Michiel Ras & Evelien Eggink & Ingrid Ooms, 2005. "The demand for housing services in the Netherlands," ERSA conference papers ersa05p327, European Regional Science Association.
- Morgenroth, Edgar & FitzGerald, John & FitzGerald, John, 2006.
"Summary and Conclusions,"
Book Chapters, in: Morgenroth, Edgar (ed.),Ex-Ante Evaluation of the Investment Priorities for the National Development Plan 2007-2013, chapter 24, pages 317-333,
Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Baker, Terence J. & FitzGerald, John & Honohan, Patrick & FitzGerald, John & Honohan, Patrick, 1996. "Summary and Conclusions," Book Chapters, in: Baker, Terence J. (ed.),Economic Implications for Ireland of EMU, chapter 12, pages 339-352, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Maitre, Bertrand & Nolan, Brian & Whelan, Christopher T., 2006. "Reconfiguring the Measurement of Deprivation and Consistent Poverty in Ireland," Research Series, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI), number PRS58.
- Ballesteros, Marife M., 2001.
"The Dynamics of Housing Demand in the Philippines: Income and Lifecycle Effects,"
DP 2001-15, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Ballesteros, Marife M., 2002. "The Dynamics of Housing Demand in the Philippines: Income and Lifecycle Effects," Research Paper Series RPS 2002-01, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Raj Chetty & László Sándor & Adam Szeidl, 2017.
"The Effect of Housing on Portfolio Choice,"
Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 72(3), pages 1171-1212, June.
- Raj Chetty & Adam Szeidl, 2010. "The Effect of Housing on Portfolio Choice," NBER Working Papers 15998, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael Dotsey & Wenli Li & Fang Yang, 2014.
"Consumption And Time Use Over The Life Cycle,"
International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 55(3), pages 665-692, August.
- Michael Dotsey & Wenli Li & Fang Yang, 2010. "Consumption and time use over the life cycle," Working Papers 10-37, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Raul-Tomas Mora-Garcia & Maria-Francisca Cespedes-Lopez & V. Raul Perez-Sanchez & Pablo Marti & Juan-Carlos Perez-Sanchez, 2019. "Determinants of the Price of Housing in the Province of Alicante (Spain): Analysis Using Quantile Regression," Sustainability, MDPI, vol. 11(2), pages 1-33, January.
- Schmidt, Tobias & Alik-Lagrange, Arthur, 2016. "The Pattern of Home Ownership Across Age Cohorts and its Impact on the German Net Wealth Distribution," VfS Annual Conference 2016 (Augsburg): Demographic Change 145604, Verein für Socialpolitik / German Economic Association.
- Richard M. Bird & Enid Slack, 2005.
"Land and Property Taxation in 25 Countries: A Comparative Review,"
ifo DICE Report,
ifo Institute - Leibniz Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 3(3), pages 34-42, November.
- Richard M. Bird & Enid Slack, 2004. "Land and Property Taxation in 25 Countries: A Comparative Review," Chapters,in: International Handbook of Land and Property Taxation, chapter 2 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Basant K. Kapur, 2016. "Another Look At Price Instability And Consumer Well-Being: Nondurable And Durable (Housing) Markets," The Singapore Economic Review (SER), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 61(02), pages 1-9, June.
- Skinner, Jonathan, 1996. "The dynamic efficiency cost of not taxing housing," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(3), pages 397-417, March.
- Jonathan Skinner, 1990. "The Dynamic Efficiency Cost of Not taxing Housing," NBER Working Papers 3454, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Richard Arnott, 1995. "Time for Revisionism on Rent Control?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 9(1), pages 99-120, Winter.
- Garrett, Vicki & Koontz, Tomas M., 2008. "Breaking the cycle: Producer and consumer perspectives on the non-adoption of passive solar housing in the US," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 1551-1566, April.
- Sonali DAS , Rangan GUPTA & Patrick A. KAYA, 2010. "Convergence Of Metropolitan House Prices In South Africa: A Re-Examination Using Efficient Unit Root Tests," Applied Econometrics and International Development, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 10(1).
- Sonali Das & Rangan Gupta & Patrick Agu Kaya, 2009. "Convergence of Metropolitan House Prices in South Africa: A Re-Examination Using Efficient Unit Root Tests," Working Papers 200922, University of Pretoria, Department of Economics.
- Nordvik, Viggo, 2001. "A Housing Career Perspective on Risk," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 456-471, December.
More about this item
Keywordshedonic regression/Ireland/property tax;
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ACC-2010-10-09 (Accounting & Auditing)
- NEP-PUB-2010-10-09 (Public Finance)
- NEP-URE-2010-10-09 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:esr:wpaper:wp352. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: . General contact details of provider: https://edirc.repec.org/data/esriiie.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If CitEc recognized a bibliographic reference but did not link an item in RePEc to it, you can help with this form .
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: Sarah Burns (email available below). General contact details of provider: https://edirc.repec.org/data/esriiie.html .
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.