Issues in measuring a monthly house price index in New Zealand
The sale price appraisal ratio (SPAR) method, which takes the ratios of the current house prices and their previous assessed values to construct an index, has been applied in New Zealand since the 1960s. This paper uses housing market transaction data for 12 cities in New Zealand (1994-2004) to develop monthly SPAR house price indices. These indices were subjected to a variety of statistical tests and benchmarked against the comparable monthly quality controlled weighted repeat sales indices. Finally, the paper provides some useful suggestions for future research based on the SPAR index and other alternative house price indices, such as the assessed value (AV) method.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- William C. Goolsby, 1997. "Assessment Error in the Valuation of Owner-Occupied Housing," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 13(1), pages 33-46.
- Brian J. L. Berry & Robert S. Bednarz, 1975. "A Hedonic Model of Prices and Assessments for Single-Family Homes: Does the Assessor Follow the Market or the Market Follow the Assessor?," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 51(1), pages 21-40.
- Cheng, Pao Lun, 1974. "Property Taxation, Assessment Performance, and Its Measurement," Public Finance = Finances publiques, , vol. 29(3-4), pages 268-284.
- Case, Karl E & Shiller, Robert J, 1989.
"The Efficiency of the Market for Single-Family Homes,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 79(1), pages 125-137, March.
- Karl E. Case & Robert J. Shiller, 1988. "The Efficiency of the Market for Single-Family Homes," NBER Working Papers 2506, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert J. Shiller, 1991. "Arithmetic Repeat Sales Price Estimators," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 971, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Eric Clapham & Peter Englund & John M. Quigley & Christian L. Redfearn, 2006. "Revisiting the Past and Settling the Score: Index Revision for House Price Derivatives," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 34(2), pages 275-302, 06.
- Clapham, Eric & Englund, Peter & Quigley, John M. & Redfearn, Christian L., 2007. "Revisiting the Past and Settling the Score: Index Revision for House Price Derivatives," Berkeley Program on Housing and Urban Policy, Working Paper Series qt1m2340dt, Berkeley Program on Housing and Urban Policy.
- Clapp, John M & Giaccotto, Carmelo, 1992. "Estimating Price Trends for Residential Property: A Comparison of Repeat Sales and Assessed Value Methods," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 5(4), pages 357-374, December.
- Gary C. Cornia & Barrett A. Slade, 2005. "Property Taxation of Multifamily Housing: An Empirical Analysis of Vertical and Horizontal Equity and Assessment Methods," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 27(1), pages 17-46.
- Donald R. Haurin & Patric H. Hendershott, 1991. "House Price Indexes: Issues and Results," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 19(3), pages 259-269.
- McMillen, Daniel P. & Weber, Rachel N., 2008. "Thin Markets and Property Tax Inequities: A Multinomial Logit Approach," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 61(4), pages 653-671, December.
- Englund, Peter & Quigley, John M & Redfearn, Christian L, 1999. "The Choice of Methodology for Computing Housing Price Indexes: Comparisons of Temporal Aggregation and Sample Definition," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 19(2), pages 91-112, September.
- Gatzlaff Dean H. & Ling David C., 1994. "Measuring Changes in Local House Prices: An Empirical Investigation of Alternative Methodologies," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 221-244, March.
- Bourassa, Steven C. & Hoesli, Martin & Sun, Jian, 2006. "A simple alternative house price index method," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 80-97, March.
- Steven C. Bourassa & Martin Hoesli & Jian Sun, 2004. "A Simple Alternative House Price Index Method," FAME Research Paper Series rp119, International Center for Financial Asset Management and Engineering.
- David Geltner & David C. Ling, 2006. "Considerations in the Design and Construction of Investment Real Estate Research Indices," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 28(4), pages 411-444.
- Jesse M. Abraham & William S. Schauman, 1991. "New Evidence on Home Prices from Freddie Mac Repeat Sales," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 19(3), pages 333-352. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jhouse:v:18:y:2009:i:4:p:336-350. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.