Recasting Safety Nets: Reforming Social Assistance in Germany, Ireland and the United Kingdom
This paper investigates the simulation of common policy reforms across different countries. Changes to the equivalence scales of social assistance systems in favour of pensions and children in Germany, Ireland and the UK were modelled. Unlike a number of previous studies of this kind such as Atkinson et al. (1988), reforms were modelled in the policy and societal context in which the reforms are set. To do this, three national tax-benefit microsimulation models were used. The analysis highlighted both the different structure of the policy instruments used across the countries, but also the importance of the national environments in which the policy is set. This paper highlights the difficulties associated with carrying out comparative research of this nature using national models which were not designed specifically for this purpose.
|Date of creation:||Jul 1998|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Whitaker Square, Sir John Rogerson's Quay, Dublin 2|
Phone: (353-1) 863 2000
Fax: (353-1) 863 2100
Web page: http://www.esri.ie
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Merz, Joachim, 1991. "Microsimulation -- A survey of principles, developments and applications," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 77-104, May.
- Callan T & O'donoghue C & Sutherland H, 1999. "Comparative Analysis of Basic Income Proposals: UK and Ireland," Microsimulation Unit Research Notes MU/RN/31, Microsimulation Unit at the Institute for Social and Economic Research.
- Callan, Tim & O'Donoghue, Cathal & O'Neill, Ciarán, 1994. "Analysis of Basic Income Schemes for Ireland," Research Series, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI), number PRS21.
- Atkinson, A. B. & Bouguignon, F. & Chiappori, P. A., 1988. "What do we learn about tax reform from international comparisons? France and Britain," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 32(2-3), pages 343-352, March.
- Callan, Tim & Sutherland, Holly, 1997. "The impact of comparable policies in European countries: Microsimulation approaches," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 41(3-5), pages 627-633, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:esr:wpaper:wp098. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sarah Burns)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.