Social Protection in ASEAN: Challenges and Initiatives for Post-2015 Vision
The Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) is engaged in framing a post- 2015 vision for social protection in ASEAN which would facilitate productive ageing. This paper assesses existing social protection systems in ASEAN and suggests initiatives which policymakers and other stakeholders could consider for progressing towards a more robust social protection system. The paper argues that progressing towards the post-2015 vision of social protection will require greater coordination between ASEAN’s economic and social sector groups, as weak social protection systems existing today will increasingly constrain future economic growth. ASEAN as a group will also need to lessen its reliance on outside donors for funding and expertise. The specific initiatives suggested for facilitating productive ageing in ASEAN are (i) creating an ASEAN social protection forum for developing more robust databases, encouraging communication and indigenous research, and rendering technical assistance to members; (ii) pursuing measures to reduce expenditure needs of the elderly, including well-designed discount systems for public amenities and basic needs; (iii) giving greater priority to cross-border worker agreements to improve their living conditions, and encourage totalization agreements; and (iv) enhancing professionalism and systemic perspectives
|Date of creation:||Feb 2015|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: The ASEAN Secretariat Mezzanine Floor, 70A Jl.Sisingamangaraja, Jakarta 12110|
Web page: http://www.eria.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bali, Azad Singh & Asher, Mukul G., 2012. "Coordinating Healthcare and Pension Policies: An Exploratory Study," ADBI Working Papers 374, Asian Development Bank Institute.
- Azad Singh Bali & Mukul G. Asher, 2012. "Coordinating Healthcare and Pension Policies : An Exploratory Study," Governance Working Papers 23325, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Asher, Mukul G. & Vasudevan, Deepa, 2008. "Lessons for Asian Countries from Pension Reforms in Chile," PIE/CIS Discussion Paper 381, Center for Intergenerational Studies, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Robert Holzmann & Johannes Koettl, 2015.
"Portability of Pension, Health, and Other Social Benefits: Facts, Concepts, and Issues,"
CESifo Economic Studies,
CESifo, vol. 61(2), pages 377-415.
- Robert Holzmann & Johannes Koettl, 2012. "Portability of Pension, Health, and other Social Benefits: Facts, Concepts, and Issues," CESifo Working Paper Series 4002, CESifo Group Munich.
- Azad Singh Bali & Mukul G. Asher, 2012. "Coordinating Healthcare and Pension Policies : An Exploratory Study," Labor Economics Working Papers 23325, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Azad Singh Bali & Mukul G. Asher, 2012. "Coordinating Healthcare and Pension Policies : An Exploratory Study," Development Economics Working Papers 23325, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:era:wpaper:dp-2015-06. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Hiroshi Okasaki)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.