A model of airport slot allocation with posted prices
In this paper, we study the impact of the introduction of posted prices in the slot allocation process currently in use at congested airports in most European countries. In particular, we show that if the airport is initially saturated, while low level of slot prices entail no response from the airlines, requests for slots ”suddenly and violently” drop when the price reaches a certain threshold. In general, there is therefore no market clearing price for airport slots. We also present a dynamic model which highlights how the current grandfather rule - stating that slots used today are kept in the future - generates baby-sitting, that is airlines requiring and using slots today just because they expect them to be profitable in the future.
|Date of creation:||29 Oct 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||Type of Document - pdf; pages: 31.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 7, avenue Edouard Belin, BP 54005, 31055 Toulouse cedex 4|
Fax: +33 (0) 5 62 17 40 17
Web page: http://www.enac.fr/recherche/leea/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Carlin, Alan & Park, Rolla Edward, 1970. "Marginal Cost Pricing of Airport Runway Capacity," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 60(3), pages 310-19, June.
- S.J. Rassenti & V.L. Smith & R.L. Bulfin, 1982. "A Combinatorial Auction Mechanism for Airport Time Slot Allocation," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 13(2), pages 402-417, Autumn.
- Reynolds-Feighan, Aisling & Button, Kenneth J., 1999.
"An Assessment of the Capacity and Congestion levels at European Airports,"
ERSA conference papers
ersa99pa241, European Regional Science Association.
- Reynolds-Feighan, Aisling J. & Button, Kenneth J., 1999. "An assessment of the capacity and congestion levels at European airports," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 113-134.
- Jean J. Gabszewicz & Sougata Poddar, 1997.
"Demand fluctuations and capacity utilization under duopoly,"
Springer, vol. 10(1), pages 131-146.
- GABSZEWICZ, JeanÂ J. & PODDARÂ , Sougata, 1995. "Demand Fluctuations and Capacity Utilization under Duopoly," CORE Discussion Papers 1995051, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Gabszewicz, J.J. & Poddar, S., . "Demand fluctuations and capacity utilization under duopoly," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1269, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Péter Eső & Volker Nocke & Lucy White, 2010.
"Competition for scarce resources,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
RAND Corporation, vol. 41(3), pages 524-548.
- Lawrence M. Ausubel & Paul Milgrom, 2002.
"Ascending Auctions with Package Bidding,"
02004, Stanford University, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:enc:abcdef:airportslots5. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask to update the entry or send us the correct email address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.