An Assessment of the Capacity and Congestion levels at European Airports
This paper examines the current capacity of the EU's airport infrastructure and the main factors determining that capacity. The nature and role of airport services are detailed. The determination of capacity is examined with discussion of the influence which air traffic control factors, demand characteristics, environmental conditions and engineering design will have on capacity. The methods used to assess delay are detailed along with extensive data sketching the current state of Europe's system of large airports and the extent of infrastructure congestion. The options available to policy makers to improve the management and organisation of capacity are set out and critically discussed.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:||Aug 1999|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Welthandelsplatz 1, 1020 Vienna, Austria|
Web page: http://www.ersa.org
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kearney, C. & Favotto, I., 1993. "Peak Period Pricing in Australian Aviation: The Experience at Sydney's Kingsford Smith Airport," Papers e9323, Western Sydney - School of Business And Technology.
- Reynolds-Feighan, Aisling J & Feighan, Kieran J, 1997. "Airport Services and Airport Charging Systems: A Critical Review of The EU Common Framework," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 311-320, December.
- Alfred E. Kahn, 1988. "The Economics of Regulation: Principles and Institutions," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262610523, June.
- Morrison, Steven A., 1987. "The equity and efficiency of runway pricing," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 45-60, October.
- Hamzawi, Salah G., 1992. "Lack of airport capacity: Exploration of alternative solutions," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 47-58, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wiw:wiwrsa:ersa99pa241. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gunther Maier)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.