An assessment of the capacity and congestion levels at European airports
This paper examines the current capacity of the EU's airport infrastructure and the main factors determining that capacity. The nature and role of airport services are detailed. The determination of capacity is examined with discussion of the influence which air traffic control factors, demand characteristics, environmental conditions and engineering design will have on capacity. The methods used to assess delay are detailed along with extensive data sketching the current state of Europe's system of large airports and the extent of infrastructure congestion. The options available to policy makers to improve the management and organisation of capacity are set out and critically discussed.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 5 (1999)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.journals.elsevier.com/journal-of-air-transport-management/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hamzawi, Salah G., 1992. "Lack of airport capacity: Exploration of alternative solutions," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 47-58, January.
- Kenneth Button, 1993. "Transport, The Environment And Economic Policy," Books, Edward Elgar Publishing, number 69.
- Alfred E. Kahn, 1988. "The Economics of Regulation: Principles and Institutions," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262610523.
- Balfour, John, 1994. "The changing role of regulation in European air transport liberalization," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 27-36.
- Reynolds-Feighan, Aisling J & Feighan, Kieran J, 1997. "Airport Services and Airport Charging Systems: A Critical Review of The EU Common Framework," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 311-320, December.
- Kenneth Button, 1993. "Transport Economics," Books, Edward Elgar Publishing, number 56.
- Kearney, C. & Favotto, I., 1993. "Peak Period Pricing in Australian Aviation: The Experience at Sydney's Kingsford Smith Airport," Papers e9323, Western Sydney - School of Business And Technology.
- William Vickrey, 1971. "Responsive Pricing of Public Utility Services," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 2(1), pages 337-346, Spring.
- Morrison, Steven A., 1987. "The equity and efficiency of runway pricing," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 45-60, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jaitra:v:5:y:1999:i:3:p:113-134. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.