Endogenous capacities and price competition: The role of demand uncertainty
We analyze the role of demand uncertainty in markets of fixed size, in which firms take long-run capacity decisions prior to competing in prices. We characterize the set of subgame perfect Nash equilibria under various assumptions regarding the nature and timing of demand uncertainty. In order to prove equilibrium existence, we identify a sufficient condition for the capacity choice game to be submodular. This condition resembles the standard downward-sloping marginal revenue condition used in Cournot games. A robust conclusion of the analysis is that equilibrium capacity choices are asymmetric, even when firms are ex-ante identical. Concerning the equivalence between the capacity-price game and the Cournot game, we find that with inelastic demands, the equilibria of the former belong to the equilibrium set of the latter. However, as compared to the Cournot game, the capacity-price game leads to lower prices and generates price dispersion.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Amir, Rabah & Wooders, John, 1997.
"One-Way Spillovers, Endogenous Innovator/Imitator Roles and Research Joint Ventures,"
43, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- Amir, Rabah & Wooders, John, 2000. "One-Way Spillovers, Endogenous Innovator/Imitator Roles, and Research Joint Ventures," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 1-25, April.
- Rabah Amir & John Wooders, 1998. "One-Way Spillovers, Endogenous Innovator/Imitator Roles and Research Jointventures," CIE Discussion Papers 1998-10, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics. Centre for Industrial Economics.
- AMIR, Rabah & WOODERS, John, 1997. "One-way spillovers, endogenous innovator/imitator roles and research joint ventures," CORE Discussion Papers 1997027, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Dan Kovenock & Raymond Deneckere & Tom Faith & Beth Allen, 2000.
"Capacity precommitment as a barrier to entry: A Bertrand-Edgeworth approach,"
Springer, vol. 15(3), pages 501-530.
- Allen, B. & Deneckere, R. & Faith, T. & Kovenock, D., 1994. "Capacity Precommitment as a Barrier to Entry: A Bertrand-Edgeworth Approach," Purdue University Economics Working Papers 1062, Purdue University, Department of Economics.
- Allen, B. & Deneckere, R. & Faith, T. & Kovenock, D., 1994. "Capacity Precommitment as a Barrier to Entry: A Bertrand- Engeworth Approach," Papers 9483, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Beth Allen & Raymond Deneckere & Tom Faith & Dan Kovenock, 1994. "Capacity Precommitment as a Barrier to Entry:A Bertrand-Edgeworth Approach," Industrial Organization 9411002, EconWPA, revised 14 Nov 1994.
- Beth Allen & Raymond Deneckere & Tom Faith & Dan Kovenock, 1995. "Capacity precommitment as a barrier to entry: a Bertrand-Edgeworth approach," Staff Report 187, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Natalia Fabra & Nils‐Henrik M von der Fehr & María‐Ángeles de Frutos, 2011. "Market Design and Investment Incentives," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 121(557), pages 1340-1360, December.
- Amir, Rabah & Garcia, Filomena & Knauff, Malgorzata, 2010. "Symmetry-breaking in two-player games via strategic substitutes and diagonal nonconcavity: A synthesis," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 145(5), pages 1968-1986, September.
- Klemperer, Paul D & Meyer, Margaret A, 1989. "Supply Function Equilibria in Oligopoly under Uncertainty," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(6), pages 1243-77, November.
- Reynolds, Stanley S. & Wilson, Bart J., 2000. "Bertrand-Edgeworth Competition, Demand Uncertainty, and Asymmetric Outcomes," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 92(1), pages 122-141, May.
- Vives, X., 1988.
"Nash Equilibrium With Strategic Complementarities,"
UFAE and IAE Working Papers
107-88, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Osborne, Martin J. & Pitchik, Carolyn, 1983.
"Price Competition in a Capacity-Constrained Duopoly,"
83-08, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Osborne, Martin J. & Pitchik, Carolyn, 1986. "Price competition in a capacity-constrained duopoly," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 238-260, April.
- Kovenock, D. & Roy, S., 1995.
"Dynamic Capacity Choice in a Bertrand-Edgeworth Framework,"
Purdue University Economics Working Papers
1080, Purdue University, Department of Economics.
- Kovenock, Dan & Roy, Suddhasatwa, 1998. "Dynamic capacity choice in a Bertrand-Edgeworth frameqork," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 135-160, March.
- Jean J. Gabszewicz & Sougata Poddar, 1997.
"Demand fluctuations and capacity utilization under duopoly,"
Springer, vol. 10(1), pages 131-146.
- Gabszewicz, J.J. & Poddar, S., . "Demand fluctuations and capacity utilization under duopoly," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1269, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- GABSZEWICZ, Jean J. & PODDAR , Sougata, 1995. "Demand Fluctuations and Capacity Utilization under Duopoly," CORE Discussion Papers 1995051, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Dan Kovenock & Raymond J. Deneckere, 1996. "Bertrand-Edgeworth duopoly with unit cost asymmetry (*)," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 8(1), pages 1-25.
- Robert W. Staiger & Frank A. Wolak, 1992. "Collusive Pricing with Capacity Constraints in the Presence of Demand Uncertainty," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 23(2), pages 203-220, Summer.
- Carl Davidson & Raymond Deneckere, 1986. "Long-Run Competition in Capacity, Short-Run Competition in Price, and the Cournot Model," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 17(3), pages 404-415, Autumn.
- Dechenaux, Emmanuel & Kovenock, Dan, 2003.
"Endogenous Rationing, Price Dispersion, and Collusion in Capacity Constrained Supergames,"
Purdue University Economics Working Papers
1164, Purdue University, Department of Economics.
- Emmanuel Dechenaux & Dan Kovenock, 2011. "Endogenous rationing, price dispersion and collusion in capacity constrained supergames," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 47(1), pages 29-74, May.
- Morten Hviid, 1989.
"Sequential Capacity and Price Choices in a Duopoly Model with Demand Uncertainty,"
89-09, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Morten Hviid, 1990. "Sequential capacity and price choices in a duopoly model with demand uncertainty," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 51(2), pages 121-144, June.
- de Frutos, Maria-Angeles & Fabra, Natalia, 2007.
"Endogenous Capacities and Price Competition: The Role of Demand Uncertainty,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6096, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- de Frutos, María-Ángeles & Fabra, Natalia, 2011. "Endogenous capacities and price competition: The role of demand uncertainty," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 399-411, July.
- Leonard F. Herk, 1993. "Consumer Choice and Cournot Behavior in Capacity-Constrained Duopoly Competition," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 24(3), pages 399-417, Autumn.
- Jean-Pierre Benoit & Vijay Krishna, 1987. "Dynamic Duopoly: Prices and Quantities," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 54(1), pages 23-35.
- Daron Acemoglu & Kostas Bimpikis & Asuman Ozdaglar, 2006.
"Price and Capacity Competition,"
NBER Working Papers
12804, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Veronika Grimm & Gregor Zoettl, 2006. "Capacity Choice under Uncertainty: The Impact of Market Structure," Working Paper Series in Economics 23, University of Cologne, Department of Economics.
- David M. Kreps & Jose A. Scheinkman, 1983. "Quantity Precommitment and Bertrand Competition Yield Cournot Outcomes," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 14(2), pages 326-337, Autumn.
- Grant, Simon & Quiggin, John, 1996.
"Capital Precommitment and Competition in Supply Schedules,"
Journal of Industrial Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(4), pages 427-41, December.
- Grant, S. & Quiggin, J., 1994. "Capital Recommitment and Competition in Supply Schedules," Papers 280, Australian National University - Department of Economics.
- Moreno, Diego & Ubeda, Luis, 2006. "Capacity precommitment and price competition yield the Cournot outcome," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 323-332, August.
- Compte, Olivier & Jenny, Frederic & Rey, Patrick, 2002. "Capacity constraints, mergers and collusion," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 1-29, January.
- Gal-Or, Esther, 1984. "Price Dispersion with Uncertain Demand," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 25(2), pages 441-57, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:indorg:v:29:y:2011:i:4:p:399-411. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.