Spatial asymmetric duopoly with an application to Brussels’ airports
We study the problem of a city with access to two firms or subcentres (restaurants, airports) selling a differentiated product and/or offering a differentiated workplace. The first subcentre is easily congested (near city centre, access by road), the second less prone to congestion but further away. Both need to attract customers and employees and need to make profits to cover their fixed costs. This is an asymmetric duopoly game that can be solved for a Nash equilibrium in prices and wages. This solution involves excessive congestion for the nearby subcentre. Three stylised policies are studied to address this congestion. The first policy is to widen the congested road to the nearby subcentre. The second policy option is to add congestion pricing (or parking pricing etc.) for the congested subcentre. The third policy is to provide a direct subsidy to the remote subcentre so that it can reduce its price. We illustrate the theory using a numerical model applied to the two Brussels airports.
|Date of creation:||2007|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 33, boulevard du port - 95011 Cergy-Pontoise Cedex|
Phone: 33 1 34 25 60 63
Fax: 33 1 34 25 62 33
Web page: http://thema.u-cergy.fr
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lambertini, Luca, 1997.
"Optimal Fiscal Regime in a Spatial Duopoly,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 41(3), pages 407-420, May.
- Zhang, Anming & Zhang, Yimin, 1997. "Concession revenue and optimal airport pricing," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 287-296, December.
- Fujita, Masahisa & Thisse, Jacques-Francois, 1996.
"Economics of Agglomeration,"
Journal of the Japanese and International Economies,
Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 339-378, December.
- Fujita,Masahisa & Thisse,Jacques-FranÃ§ois, 2013. "Economics of Agglomeration," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521171960, October.
- Fujita,Masahisa & Thisse,Jacques-FranÃ§ois, 2013. "Economics of Agglomeration," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9781107001411, October.
- Fujita, M. & Thisse, J.-F., . "Economics of agglomeration," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1250, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Fujita, Masahisa & Thisse, Jacques-François, 1996. "Economics of Agglomeration," CEPR Discussion Papers 1344, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Thorsten Fischer & David R. Kamerschen, 2003. "Price-Cost Margins in the US Airline Industry using a Conjectural Variation Approach," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, University of Bath, vol. 37(2), pages 227-259, May.
- Kurt Van Dender, 2005. "Duopoly prices under congested access," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45(2), pages 343-362.
- Eric Pels & Erik Verhoef, 2003.
"The Economics of Airport Congestion Pricing,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
03-083/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Ivaldi, Marc & Vibes, Catherine, 2005.
"Intermodal and Intramodal Competition in Passenger Rail Transport,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5004, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ivaldi, Marc & Vibes, Catherine, 2005. "Intermodal and Intramodal Competition in Passenger Rail Transport," IDEI Working Papers 345, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Pels, Eric & Nijkamp, Peter & Rietveld, Piet, 2003. "Access to and competition between airports: a case study for the San Francisco Bay area," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 71-83, January.
- Hess, Stephane & Polak, John W., 2005. "Mixed logit modelling of airport choice in multi-airport regions," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 59-68.
- Barrett, Sean D., 2004. "How do the demands for airport services differ between full-service carriers and low-cost carriers?," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 33-39.
- Van Dender, Kurt, 2005. "Duopoly Prices Under Congested Access," University of California Transportation Center, Working Papers qt7xw8c3fn, University of California Transportation Center.
- Jan K. Brueckner, 2002. "Airport Congestion When Carriers Have Market Power," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 92(5), pages 1357-1375, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ema:worpap:2007-14. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stefania Marcassa)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.