Income tax and war inflation: was the ‘blood tax’ compensated by taxing the rich?
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Aidt, Toke S. & Jensen, Peter S., 2009. "The taxman tools up: An event history study of the introduction of the personal income tax," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 93(1-2), pages 160-175, February.
- Thomas Piketty & Emmanuel Saez & Stefanie Stantcheva, 2014.
"Optimal Taxation of Top Labor Incomes: A Tale of Three Elasticities,"
American Economic Journal: Economic Policy,
American Economic Association, vol. 6(1), pages 230-271, February.
- Thomas Piketty & Emmanuel Saez & Stefanie Stantcheva, 2011. "Optimal Taxation of Top Labor Incomes: A Tale of Three Elasticities," NBER Working Papers 17616, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Thomas Piketty & Emmanuel Saez & Stefanie Stantcheva, 2014. "Optimal Taxation of Top Labor Incomes: A Tale of Three Elasticities," PSE - Labex "OSE-Ouvrir la Science Economique" halshs-00944873, HAL.
- Piketty, Thomas & Saez, Emmanuel & Stantcheva, Stefanie, 2011. "Optimal Taxation of Top Labor Incomes: A Tale of Three Elasticities," CEPR Discussion Papers 8675, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Stefanie Stantcheva & Emmanuel Saez & Thomas Piketty, 2012. "Optimal Taxation of Top Labor Incomes: A Tale of Three Elasticities," 2012 Meeting Papers 78, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Thomas Blanchet & Juliette Fournier & Thomas Piketty, 2017.
"Generalized Pareto Curves : Theory and Applications,"
201703, World Inequality Lab.
- Blanchet, Thomas & Fournier, Juliette & Piketty, Thomas, 2017. "Generalized Pareto Curves: Theory and Applications," CEPR Discussion Papers 12404, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Herwig Immervoll, 2005. "Falling Up The Stairs: The Effects Of “Bracket Creep” On Household Incomes," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 51(1), pages 37-62, March.
- Broadberry,Stephen & Harrison,Mark (ed.), 2005. "The Economics of World War I," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521852128, December.
- Julie P. Smith, 2001. "Progressivity of the Commonwealth Personal Income Tax, 1917-1997," Australian Economic Review, The University of Melbourne, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, vol. 34(3), pages 263-278.
- Alan T. Peacock & Jack Wiseman, 1961. "The Growth of Public Expenditure in the United Kingdom," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number peac61-1, December.
- Obinger, Herbert & Petersen, Klaus, 2017. "Mass Warfare and the Welfare State – Causal Mechanisms and Effects," British Journal of Political Science, Cambridge University Press, vol. 47(01), pages 203-227, January.
- Scheve, Kenneth & Stasavage, David, 2010. "The Conscription of Wealth: Mass Warfare and the Demand for Progressive Taxation," International Organization, Cambridge University Press, vol. 64(04), pages 529-561, October.
- Shorrocks, Anthony & Wan, Guanghua, 2008. "Ungrouping Income Distributions: Synthesising Samples for Inequality and Poverty Analysis," WIDER Working Paper Series 016, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Anthony Atkinson & Thomas Piketty, 2007. "Top incomes over the twentieth century: A contrast between continental european and english-speaking countries," Post-Print halshs-00754859, HAL.
- repec:cup:apsrev:v:79:y:1985:i:02:p:491-507_22 is not listed on IDEAS
- Atkinson, A. B. & Piketty, Thomas (ed.), 2007. "Top Incomes Over the Twentieth Century: A Contrast Between Continental European and English-Speaking Countries," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199286881.
More about this item
KeywordsTaxation; Fiscal redistribution; World Wars; Bracket Creep; Progressivity; Income tax;
- N00 - Economic History - - General - - - General
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ehs:wpaper:18010. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maureen Galbraith). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/ehsukea.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.