Can labour supply explain the rise in unemployment and intergroup wage inequality in the OECD?
This paper investigates how labour supply trends might have affected the OECD labour markets in the last decades. It is argued that changes in supply cannot be considered as homogenous: they involve more young and more adult female workers, who are complements with skilled men and substitutes with low-wage groups (young, unskilled). Such labour supply trends since the ''50s may have increased competition between women, young workers and low skilled workers in some segments of the labour force. These mechanisms are described by a model and an empirical strategy is undertaken to test its predictions. Disaggregation by gender is necessary. Endogeneity of participation levels with respect to unemployment is treated in two ways, by instrumental variables estimators, and with time series techniques. Significant causal relations between participation and unemployment cannot be rejected.
|Date of creation:||Nov 1998|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +44 (020) 7405 7686
Web page: http://www.lse.ac.uk/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Olivier J. Blanchard & Lawrence H. Summers, 1986.
"Hysteresis and the European Unemployment Problem,"
427, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Banerjee, Anindya & Dolado, Juan J. & Galbraith, John W. & Hendry, David, 1993. "Co-integration, Error Correction, and the Econometric Analysis of Non-Stationary Data," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198288107, March.
- Mincer, Jacob, 1985. "Intercountry Comparisons of Labor Force Trends and of Related Developments: An Overview," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 3(1), pages S1-32, January.
- Clark, Kim B & Summers, Lawrence H, 1982.
"Labour Force Participation: Timing and Persistence,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(5), pages 825-44, Special I.
- Pissarides, Christopher A., 1989.
"Unemployment consequences of an aging population: An application of insider-outsider theory,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 33(2-3), pages 355-366, March.
- Pissarides, C., 1988. "Unemployment Consequences Of An Aging Population: An Application Of Insider-Outsider Theory," Papers 327, London School of Economics - Centre for Labour Economics.
- Kevin M. Murphy & Robert H. Topel, 1987. "The Evolution of Unemployment in the United States: 1968 -- 1985," NBER Chapters, in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 1987, Volume 2, pages 11-68 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lawrence F. Katz & Kevin M. Murphy, 1991.
"Changes in Relative Wages, 1963-1987: Supply and Demand Factors,"
NBER Working Papers
3927, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Katz, Lawrence F & Murphy, Kevin M, 1992. "Changes in Relative Wages, 1963-1987: Supply and Demand Factors," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 107(1), pages 35-78, February.
- Katz, L.F. & Murphy, K.M., 1991. "Changes in Relative Wages, 1963-1987: Supply and Demand Factors," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1580, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Hendry, David F., 1995. "Dynamic Econometrics," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198283164, March.
- Topel, Robert H, 1994. "Regional Labor Markets and the Determinants of Wage Inequality," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(2), pages 17-22, May.
- Bean, Charles R, 1994.
"European Unemployment: A Survey,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 32(2), pages 573-619, June.
- Layard, Richard & Nickell, Stephen & Jackman, Richard, 2005.
"Unemployment: Macroeconomic Performance and the Labour Market,"
Oxford University Press, number 9780199279173, March.
- Layard, Richard & Nickell, Stephen & Jackman, Richard, 1991. "Unemployment: Macroeconomic Performance and the Labour Market," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198284345, March.
- Nickell, S., 1991. "Wages, Unemployment and Population Change," Economics Series Working Papers 99122, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Juhn, Chinhui & Murphy, Kevin M & Pierce, Brooks, 1993. "Wage Inequality and the Rise in Returns to Skill," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 101(3), pages 410-42, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ehl:lserod:20245. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (LSERO Manager)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.