Corruption and Fertility: Evidence from OECD countries
This paper uses panel data of OECD countries during the period 1995–2003 to examine how corruption affects fertility. The Corruption Perceptions Index is used to measure the degree of corruption. Fixed effects IV estimation and the Arellano-Bond dynamic panel estimation are employed to control for endogenous bias and unobservable country-specific effects. Results suggest that the fertility rate is higher in less corrupted countries. From this, the argument can be made that lack of political corruption underlies desirable conditions for child rearing in developed countries.
|Date of creation:||03 Mar 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +322 299 3523
Fax: +322 299 3523
Web page: http://www.eeri.eu/index.htmEmail:
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gary S. Becker, 1981. "A Treatise on the Family," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number beck81-1, May.
- Aidt, Toke & Dutta, Jayasri & Sena, Vania, 2008.
"Governance regimes, corruption and growth: Theory and evidence,"
Journal of Comparative Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 195-220, June.
- Toke Aidt & Jayasri Dutta & Vania Sena, 2006. "Governance Regimes, Corruption and Growth: Theory and Evidence," Discussion Papers 15_2006, D.E.S. (Department of Economic Studies), University of Naples "Parthenope", Italy.
- Rainald Borck, 2007.
"Federalism, Fertility and Growth,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
2167, CESifo Group Munich.
- David De La Croix & Clara Delavallade, 2008.
"Growth, public investment and corruption with failing institutions,"
Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers)
- David Croix & Clara Delavallade, 2009. "Growth, public investment and corruption with failing institutions," Economics of Governance, Springer, vol. 10(3), pages 187-219, July.
- DE LA CROIX, David & DELAVALLADE, Clara, 2006. "Growth, public investment and corruption with failing institutions," CORE Discussion Papers 2006101, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- David de la Croix & Clara Delavallade, 2007. "Growth, Public Investment and Corruption with Failing Institutions," Working Papers 61, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- David De la Croix & Clara Delavallade, 2006. "Growth, public investment and corruption with failing institutions," Cahiers de la Maison des Sciences Economiques v06078a, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- DE LA CROIX, David & DELAVALLADE, Clara, . "Growth, public investment and corruption with failing institutions," CORE Discussion Papers RP -2107, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- David, DE LA CROIX & Clara, DELAVALLADE, 2006. "Growth, public investment and corruption with failing institutions," Discussion Papers (ECON - Département des Sciences Economiques) 2006057, Université catholique de Louvain, Département des Sciences Economiques.
- Galor, Oded & Weil, David N, 1996.
"The Gender Gap, Fertility, and Growth,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 86(3), pages 374-87, June.
- Del Monte, Alfredo & Papagni, Erasmo, 2001. "Public expenditure, corruption, and economic growth: the case of Italy," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 1-16, March.
- Andreas Bergh & Christian Bjørnskov, 2011. "Historical Trust Levels Predict the Current Size of the Welfare State," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 64(1), pages 1-19, 02.
- Philip Shaw & Marina-Selini Katsaiti & Marius Jurgilas, 2006.
"Corruption and Growth Under Weak Identification,"
2006-17, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics, revised Mar 2007.
- Arellano, Manuel, 2003. "Panel Data Econometrics," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199245291.
- Das Gupta, Monica, 1999.
"Liberte, egalite, fraternite : exploring the role of governance in fertility decline,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2126, The World Bank.
- Monica Das Gupta, 1999. "Liberte, Egalite, Fraternite: Exploring the role of governance in fertility decline," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(5), pages 1-25.
- Jie Zhang & Junsen Zhang, 2005. "The Effect of Life Expectancy on Fertility, Saving, Schooling and Economic Growth: Theory and Evidence," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 107(1), pages 45-66, 03.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eei:rpaper:eeri_rp_2011_03. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julia van Hove)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.