Are the determinants of CO2 emissions converging among OECD countries?
This paper studies convergence in CO2 emission intensity (CO2 over GDP) among OECD countries over the period 1960-2008 based on its determinants, namely, energy intensity (energy consumption over GDP) and the so-called carbonisation index (CO2 emissions over energy consumption). We apply the Phillips and Sul (2007) methodology, which tests for the existence of convergence clubs. Our results highlight that differences in emission intensity convergence are more determined by differences in convergence of the carbonisation index rather than by differences in the dynamic convergence of energy intensity.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Edifici Departamental Oriental, Campus dels Tarongers, Avda. dels Tarongers, S/N (4P15), 46022 - València|
Phone: 963 82 83 49
Fax: 963 82 83 54
Web page: http://www.estructuraeconomica.es
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Romero-Ávila, Diego, 2008. "Convergence in carbon dioxide emissions among industrialised countries revisited," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 2265-2282, September.
- Marco R Barassi & Matthew A Cole & Robert J R Elliott, 2010.
"The Stochastic Convergence of CO2 Emissions: A Long Memory Approach,"
10-32, Department of Economics, University of Birmingham.
- Marco Barassi & Matthew Cole & Robert Elliott, 2011. "The Stochastic Convergence of CO 2 Emissions: A Long Memory Approach," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 49(3), pages 367-385, July.
- Peter C. B. Phillips & Donggyu Sul, 2009.
"Economic transition and growth,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 24(7), pages 1153-1185.
- Ang, B.W. & Zhang, F.Q., 2000. "A survey of index decomposition analysis in energy and environmental studies," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 25(12), pages 1149-1176.
- Ekaterini Panopoulou & Theologos Pantelidis, 2009.
"Club Convergence in Carbon Dioxide Emissions,"
Environmental & Resource Economics,
European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 44(1), pages 47-70, September.
- Ekaterini Panopoulou and Theologos Pantelidis, 2007. "Club Convergence in Carbon Dioxide Emissions," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp235, IIIS.
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Donggyu Sul, 2007.
"Transition Modeling and Econometric Convergence Tests,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1595, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Peter C. B. Phillips & Donggyu Sul, 2007. "Transition Modeling and Econometric Convergence Tests," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 75(6), pages 1771-1855, November.
- Joakim Westerlund & Syed Basher, 2008.
"Testing for Convergence in Carbon Dioxide Emissions Using a Century of Panel Data,"
Environmental & Resource Economics,
European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 40(1), pages 109-120, May.
- Westerlund, Joakim & Basher, Syed A., 2007. "Testing for Convergence in Carbon Dioxide Emissions Using a Century of Panel Data," MPRA Paper 3262, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Padilla, Emilio & Duro, Juan Antonio, 2013.
"Explanatory factors of CO2 per capita emission inequality in the European Union,"
Elsevier, vol. 62(C), pages 1320-1328.
- Emilio Padilla & Juan Antonio Duro, 2011. "Explanatory Factors Of Co2 Per Capita Emission Inequality In The European Union," Working Papers wpdea1107, Department of Applied Economics at Universitat Autonoma of Barcelona.
- Thomas Jobert & Fatih Karanfil & Anna Tykhonenko, 2010.
"Convergence of per capita carbon dioxide emissions in the EU: Legend or reality?,"
- Jobert, Thomas & Karanfil, Fatih & Tykhonenko, Anna, 2010. "Convergence of per capita carbon dioxide emissions in the EU: Legend or reality?," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(6), pages 1364-1373, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eec:wpaper:1215. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Silviano Esteve)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.