Combining the forecasts in the ECB survey of professional forecasters: can anything beat the simple average?
In this paper, we explore the potential gains from alternative combinations of the surveyed forecasts in the ECB Survey of Professional Forecasters. Our analysis encompasses a variety of methods including statistical combinations based on principal components analysis and trimmed means, performance-based weighting, least squares estimates of optimal weights as well as Bayesian shrinkage. We provide a pseudo real-time out-of-sample performance evaluation of these alternative combinations and check the sensitivity of the results to possible data-snooping bias. The latter robustness check is also informed using a novel real time meta selection procedure which is not subject to the data-snooping critique. For GDP growth and the unemployment rate, only few of the forecast combination schemes are able to outperform the simple equal-weighted average forecast. Conversely, for the inflation rate there is stronger evidence that more refined combinations can lead to improvement over this benchmark. In particular, for this variable, the relative improvement appears significant even controlling for data snooping bias. JEL Classification: C22, C53
|Date of creation:||Dec 2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 60640 Frankfurt am Main, Germany|
Phone: +49 69 1344 0
Fax: +49 69 1344 6000
Web page: http://www.ecb.europa.eu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Domenico Giannone & Jérôme Henry & Magdalena Lalik & Michèle Modugno, 2010.
"An Area Wide Real Time Data Base for the Euro Area,"
Working Papers ECARES
ECARES 2010-026, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Giannone, Domenico & Henry, Jérôme & Lalik, Magdalena & Modugno, Michele, 2010. "An Area-Wide Real-Time Database for the Euro Area," CEPR Discussion Papers 7673, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Giannone, Domenico & Henry, Jérôme & Lalik, Magdalena & Modugno, Michele, 2010. "An area-wide real-time database for the euro area," Working Paper Series 1145, European Central Bank.
- Francis X. Diebold & Peter Pauly, 1987.
"The use of prior information in forecast combination,"
Special Studies Papers
218, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Diebold, Francis X. & Pauly, Peter, 1990. "The use of prior information in forecast combination," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 6(4), pages 503-508, December.
- Giannone, Domenico & Lenza, Michele & Momferatou, Daphne & Onorante, Luca, 2014.
"Short-term inflation projections: A Bayesian vector autoregressive approach,"
International Journal of Forecasting,
Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 635-644.
- Giannone, Domenico & Lenza, Michele & Momferatou, Daphne & Onorante, Luca, 2010. "Short-Term Inflation Projections: a Bayesian Vector Autoregressive approach," CEPR Discussion Papers 7746, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Domenico Giannone & Michèle Lenza & Daphné Momferatu & Luca Onorante, 2010. "Short-term inflation projections: a Bayesian vector autoregressive approach," Working Papers ECARES ECARES 2010-011, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ecb:ecbwps:20101277. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Official Publications)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.