110 common errors in company valuations
This paper contains a classified collection of 110 errors seen in company valuations performed by financial analysts, investment banks and financial consultants. The author had access to most of the valuations referred to in this paper in his capacity as a consultant in company acquisitions, sales, mergers, and arbitrage processes. We classify the errors into six main categories: 1) errors in the discount rate calculation and concerning the riskiness of the company; 2) errors when calculating or forecasting the expected cash flows; 3) errors in the calculation of the residual value; 4) inconsistencies and conceptual errors; 5) errors when interpreting the valuation; and 6) organizational errors.
|Date of creation:||05 Nov 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.iese.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rajnish Mehra, 2003. "The Equity Premium: Why is it a Puzzle?," NBER Working Papers 9512, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fernandez, Pablo, 2003. "How to value a seasonal company by discounting cash flows," IESE Research Papers D/511, IESE Business School.
- Jose Manuel Campa & Simi Kedia, 2002.
"Explaining the Diversification Discount,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 57(4), pages 1731-1762, 08.
- Campa, Jose M. & Kedia, Simi, 2000. "Explaining the diversification discount," IESE Research Papers D/424, IESE Business School.
- José Manuel Campa & Simi Kedia, 1999. "Explaining the Diversification Discount," Working Papers 99-06, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Wang, Xiaozu, 2000. "Size effect, book-to-market effect, and survival," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 10(3-4), pages 257-273, December.
- Graciela Kaminsky & Sergio L. Schmukler, 2002.
"Emerging Market Instability: Do Sovereign Ratings Affect Country Risk and Stock Returns?,"
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 16(2), pages 171-195, August.
- Kaminsky, Graciela & Schmukler, Sergio, 2001. "Emerging markets instability: do sovereign ratings affect country risk and stock returns?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2678, The World Bank.
- Erik Durbin & David Tat-Chee Ng, 1999. "Uncovering country risk in emerging market bond prices," International Finance Discussion Papers 639, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Mehra, Rajnish & Prescott, Edward C., 1985.
"The equity premium: A puzzle,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 145-161, March.
- Stephen Godfrey & Ramon Espinosa, 1996. "A Practical Approach To Calculating Costs Of Equity For Investments In Emerging Markets," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 9(3), pages 80-90.
- Donald R. Lessard, 1996. "Incorporating Country Risk In The Valuation Of Offshore Projects," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 9(3), pages 52-63.
- Richard S Ruback, 2002. "Capital Cash Flows: A Simple Approach to Valuing Risky Cash Flows," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 31(2), Summer.
- Scholes, Myron & Williams, Joseph, 1977. "Estimating betas from nonsynchronous data," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 309-327, December.
- Jacques Hamon & Bertrand Jacquillat, 1999. "Is there Value‐Added Information in Liquidity and Risk Premiums?," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 5(3), pages 369-394.
- Bruner, Robert F. & Conroy, Robert M. & Estrada, Javier & Kritzman, Mark & Li, Wei, 2002. "Introduction to 'Valuation in Emerging Markets'," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 310-324, December.
- Hamon, Jacques & Jacquillat, Bertrand, 1999. "Is there value-added information in liquidity and risk premiums?," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/12648, Paris Dauphine University.
- Knez, Peter J & Ready, Mark J, 1997. " On the Robustness of Size and Book-to-Market in Cross-Sectional Regressions," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(4), pages 1355-82, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ebg:iesewp:d-0714. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Noelia Romero)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.