We extend the efficiency wage model of Shapiro and Stiglitz to account for the observation that workers’ effort has a tendency to fall when they approach the end of their employment contract. In particular, we find that the efficiency wage increases when the end of term approaches for a given rate of unemployment. We draw implications for the behavior of workers who are approaching retirement, temporary employment contracts, and the advance notice of impending job loss.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Dundee, DD1 4HN|
Phone: (01382) 344375
Fax: (01382) 344691
Web page: http://www.dundee.ac.uk/econman/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Benoit Dostie, 2006.
"Wages, Productivity and Aging,"
Cahiers de recherche
- Benoit Dostie, 2007. "Wages, Productivity and Aging," CIRANO Working Papers 2007s-02, CIRANO.
- Dostie, Benoit, 2006. "Wages, Productivity and Aging," IZA Discussion Papers 2496, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Benoit Dostie, 2006. "Wages, Productivity and Aging," Cahiers de recherche 06-15, HEC Montréal, Institut d'économie appliquée.
- Ray C. Fair, 1991.
"How Fast Do Old Men Slow Down?,"
NBER Working Papers
3757, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ray Fair, 2004. "Estimated Age Effects in Athletic Events and Chess," Yale School of Management Working Papers amz2481, Yale School of Management, revised 01 Aug 2007.
- Addison, John T & Chilton, John B, 1997. "Nondisclosure as a Contract Remedy: Explaining the Advance-Notice Puzzle," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 15(1), pages 143-64, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:dun:dpaper:266. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Andrzej Kwiatkowski)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.