Further Evidence on the Finance and Growth Causality Avoiding measuring the Indirect Impact of Pro-Market Institutional Framework and Monetary Policy
This paper uses the fact that there are different accesses to financial markets in Brazilian counties to test the hypothesis that finance development has a positive impact on GDP growth, through some cross section regressions. The advantages of such tests with respect to those relying on cross country regressions is that there are not institutional differences or monetary policy setup that are strongly correlated with finance development proxies. Therefore, the tests forwarded are able to better disentangle the impact of finance development from institutional and monetary policy effects. The results confirm the hypothesis that finance development boosts economic growth, although it is not possible to identify if this effect is only temporary, while the economy is in a transitional dynamics or if its impact is on the equilibrium growth rate.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:||2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Rua Luis Guimaraes, no 207, Poco de Panela, Recife/PE|
Phone: +55 (081) 3267 1500
Fax: +55 (081) 3267 1512
Web page: http://126.96.36.199/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert J. Barro, 1995.
"Inflation and Economic Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
5326, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James B. Ang, 2008.
"A Survey Of Recent Developments In The Literature Of Finance And Growth,"
Journal of Economic Surveys,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 22(3), pages 536-576, 07.
- James B. Ang, 2007. "A Survey Of Recent Developments In The Literature Of Finance And Growth," Monash Economics Working Papers 03-07, Monash University, Department of Economics.
- Clarida, Richard & Galí, Jordi & Gertler, Mark, 1999.
"The Science of Monetary Policy: A New Keynesian Perspective,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2139, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Mark Gertler & Jordi Gali & Richard Clarida, 1999. "The Science of Monetary Policy: A New Keynesian Perspective," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 37(4), pages 1661-1707, December.
- Richard Clarida & Jordi Gali & Mark Gertler, 1999. "The Science of Monetary Policy: A New Keynesian Perspective," NBER Working Papers 7147, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Clarida, R. & Gali, J. & Gertler, M., 1999. "The Science of Monetary Policy: A New Keynesian Perspective," Working Papers 99-13, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Richard Clarida & Jordi Galí & Mark Gertler, 1997. "The science of monetary policy: A new Keynesian perspective," Economics Working Papers 356, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Apr 1999.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:dtm:wpaper:57. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirelle Queiroz)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.