How to Make Bankers Richer: The Brazilian Financial Market with Public and Private Banks
In this paper the literature on state owned banks and on the determinants of high spread and profitability of Brazilian banks are briefly reviewed. Then the paper proceeds to forward the hypothesis that the way state owned banks have interacted with public owned banks in the market is partially responsible for such high profitability and interest rates spreads of Brazilian banking system. A model is presented to explain how this interaction can generate this profitability and spreads. The results also show that governments that stretch social policies are those that are most likely to raise profitability and spreads. Furthermore, the model also shows that if the government is generous with employees of state owned banks, it will also contribute to the profit performance of private banks and high interest rates spreads. Two empirical tests of the major hypothesis of this paper are presented. Both rely on time series data for the Brazilian economy, but one of them estimates a structural expanded CAPM model for banks, while the second one uses a Factor Augmenting Vector Auto-Regression (FAVAR) model. Both tests give support to the major hypothesis.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Date of revision:||2008|
|Publication status:||Published in The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, v. 48, p. 217-236, 2008.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Rua Luis Guimaraes, no 207, Poco de Panela, Recife/PE|
Phone: +55 (081) 3267 1500
Fax: +55 (081) 3267 1512
Web page: http://22.214.171.124/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Blanchard, Olivier Jean & Kiyotaki, Nobuhiro, 1987. "Monopolistic Competition and the Effects of Aggregate Demand," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 77(4), pages 647-66, September.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-De-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer, 2002.
"Government Ownership of Banks,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 57(1), pages 265-301, 02.
- La Porta, Rafael & Lopez-de-Silanes, Florencio & Shleifer, Andrei, 2001. "Government Ownership of Banks," Working Paper Series rwp01-016, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopezde-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer, 2000. "Government Ownership of Banks," NBER Working Papers 7620, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-deSilanes & Andrei Shleifer, 2000. "Government Ownership of Banks," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1890, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Newey, Whitney K & West, Kenneth D, 1987.
"A Simple, Positive Semi-definite, Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix,"
Econometric Society, vol. 55(3), pages 703-08, May.
- Newey, Whitney & West, Kenneth, 2014. "A simple, positive semi-definite, heteroscedasticity and autocorrelation consistent covariance matrix," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 33(1), pages 125-132.
- Whitney K. Newey & Kenneth D. West, 1986. "A Simple, Positive Semi-Definite, Heteroskedasticity and AutocorrelationConsistent Covariance Matrix," NBER Technical Working Papers 0055, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Luigi Guiso & Paola Sapienza & Luigi Zingales, 2000.
"The Role of Social Capital in Financial Development,"
CRSP working papers
511, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Luigi Guiso & Paola Sapienza & Luigi Zingales, 2004. "The Role of Social Capital in Financial Development," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 94(3), pages 526-556, June.
- Guiso, Luigi & Sapienza, Paola & Zingales, Luigi, 2000. "The Role of Social Capital In Financial Development," CEPR Discussion Papers 2383, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Luigi Guiso & Paola Sapienza & Luigi Zingales, 2000. "The Role of Social Capital in Financial Development," NBER Working Papers 7563, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Thorsten Beck & Ross Levine & Norman Loayza, 1999.
"Financial Intermediation and Growth: Causality and Causes,"
Working Papers Central Bank of Chile
56, Central Bank of Chile.
- Levine, Ross & Loayza, Norman & Beck, Thorsten, 2000. "Financial intermediation and growth: Causality and causes," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 31-77, August.
- Ross Levine & Norman Loayza & Thorsten Beck, 2002. "Financial Intermediation and Growth: Causality and Causes," Central Banking, Analysis, and Economic Policies Book Series, in: Leonardo Hernández & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel & Norman Loayza (Series Editor) & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel (Se (ed.), Banking, Financial Integration, and International Crises, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 2, pages 031-084 Central Bank of Chile.
- Levine, Ross & Loayza, Norman & Beck, Thorsten, 1999. "Financial intermediation and growth : Causality and causes," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2059, The World Bank.
- Eduardo Levy Yeyati & Alejandro Micco & Ugo Panizza, 2004.
"Should the Government Be in the Banking Business?: The Role of State-Owned and Development Banks,"
IDB Publications (Working Papers)
6684, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Eduardo Levy Yeyati & Alejandro Micco & Ugo Panizza, 2004. "Should the Government Be in the Banking Business? The Role of State-Owned and Development Banks," Research Department Publications 4379, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Agnes Belaisch, 2003. "Do Brazilian Banks Compete?," IMF Working Papers 03/113, International Monetary Fund.
- Márcio I. Nakane & Daniela B. Weintraub, 2004. "Bank Privatization and Productivity: Evidence for Brazil," Working Papers Series 90, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-38, May.
- Márcio I. Nakane, 2001. "A Test of Competition in Brazilian Banking," Working Papers Series 12, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:dtm:wpaper:37. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirelle Queiroz)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.