Analyse microstructurelle du comportement du teneur de marché des changes : étude intra-journalière de l'activité d'un teneur de marché tunisien
The aim of this paper is to test if the price setting strategy of a Tunisian trader on the foreign exchange market can be adequately described by the microstructural model developed by Madhavan and Smidt (1991) and Lyons (1995). We test for informational and inventory effects. The dataset used involves intraday quotes of a medium size bank on the USDTND and EURTND exchange rates, from the 1st January 2002 to the 27th November 2003. Our results confirm an inventory effect and an informational effect from the transactions with the Central Bank of Tunisia, but only for the USDTND exchange rate. The microstructure approach does not help to explain the EURTND quotes. The management of Tunisia exchange rate regime could offer an explanation for these mitigated results. Our results also show that, despite the financial liberalization politics followed by Tunisia for two decades, the Central Bank of Tunisia interventions still strongly act on both USDTND and EURTND quotes.
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://economix.fr
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ederington, Louis H & Lee, Jae Ha, 1993. " How Markets Process Information: News Releases and Volatility," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(4), pages 1161-91, September.
- Anat R. Admati, Paul Pfleiderer, 1988. "A Theory of Intraday Patterns: Volume and Price Variability," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 1(1), pages 3-40.
- Torben G. Anderson & Tim Bollerslev & Ashish Das, 1998. "Testing for Market Microstructure Effects in Intraday Volatility: A Reassessment of the Tokyo FX Experiment," NBER Working Papers 6666, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hartmann, Philipp, 1999. "Trading volumes and transaction costs in the foreign exchange market: Evidence from daily dollar-yen spot data," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(5), pages 801-824, May.
- Bessembinder, Hendrik, 1994. "Bid-ask spreads in the interbank foreign exchange markets," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 317-348, June.
- Gabriele Galati, 2000. "Trading volumes, volatility and spreads in foreign exchange markets: evidence from emerging market countries," BIS Working Papers 93, Bank for International Settlements.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:drm:wpaper:2006-14. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Valérie Mignon)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.