Market Power in Direct Marketing of Fresh Produce: Community Supported Agriculture Farms
CSA farms establish a loyal customer base and, potentially, market power. A new empirical industrial organization (NEIO) approach and survey data from Northeast CSA farms are used to determine whether CSA farms have market power and the extent to which they exercise their market power. Results suggest CSA farms exert about two percent of their potential monopoly power.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2005|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.umass.edu/resec/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lau, Lawrence J., 1982. "On identifying the degree of competitiveness from industry price and output data," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 10(1-2), pages 93-99.
- Sexton, Richard J. & Lavoie, Nathalie, 2001. "Food processing and distribution: An industrial organization approach," Handbook of Agricultural Economics,in: B. L. Gardner & G. C. Rausser (ed.), Handbook of Agricultural Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 15, pages 863-932 Elsevier.
- repec:cdl:agrebk:677098 is not listed on IDEAS
- Bresnahan, Timothy F., 1982. "The oligopoly solution concept is identified," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 10(1-2), pages 87-92.
- Bresnahan, Timothy F., 1989. "Empirical studies of industries with market power," Handbook of Industrial Organization,in: R. Schmalensee & R. Willig (ed.), Handbook of Industrial Organization, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 17, pages 1011-1057 Elsevier.
- Jack P. Cooley & Daniel A. Lass, 1998. "Consumer Benefits from Community Supported Agriculture Membership," Review of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 20(1), pages 227-237.
- H. Alan Love & Endah Murniningtyas, 1992. "Measuring the Degree of Market Power Exerted by Government Trade Agencies," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 74(3), pages 546-555.
- Appelbaum, Elie, 1982. "The estimation of the degree of oligopoly power," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2-3), pages 287-299, August.
- Ian Sheldon & Richard Sperling, 2003. "Estimating the Extent of Imperfect Competition in the Food Industry: What Have We Learned?," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 54(1), pages 89-109.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:dre:wpaper:2005-2. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Eileen Keegan)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.