Expanding distribution channels
We provide a model in which upstream producers, whose production cost is quadratic in quantity, sell their products through two distribution channels, a traditional channel and an external retailer. Some producers (called "large" producers) supply to both channels, whereas other producers (called "small" producers) are only able to supply to the traditional channel. All producers compete in quantity in the traditional channel. The external retailer offers a nondiscriminatory per unit payment to upstream producers. We show that distribution channel expansion executed by a small producer can decrease the producer's profit and the sum of the upstream producers' profits.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2015|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 6-1 Mihogaoka, Ibaraki, Osaka 567-0047|
Web page: http://www.iser.osaka-u.ac.jp/index-e.html
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Noriaki Matsushima & Ryusuke Shinohara, 2011.
"What factors determine the number of trading partners?,"
ISER Discussion Paper
0808, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University.
- Matsushima, Noriaki & Shinohara, Ryusuke, 2014. "What factors determine the number of trading partners?," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 106(C), pages 428-441.
- repec:hal:journl:halshs-01090500 is not listed on IDEAS
- Toshihiro Matsumura & Noriaki Matsushima, 2012.
"Airport Privatization And International Competition,"
The Japanese Economic Review,
Japanese Economic Association, vol. 63(4), pages 431-450, December.
- Toshihiro Matsumura & Noriaki Matsushima, 2010. "Airport privatization and international competition," ISER Discussion Paper 0792, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University.
- Soderbery, Anson, 2014. "Market size, structure, and access: Trade with capacity constraints," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 70(C), pages 276-298.
- Kostas Karantininis & Angelo Zago, 2001. "Endogenous Membership in Mixed Duopsonies," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(5), pages 1266-1272.
- Bulow, Jeremy I & Geanakoplos, John D & Klemperer, Paul D, 1985. "Multimarket Oligopoly: Strategic Substitutes and Complements," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 93(3), pages 488-511, June.
- Noriaki Matsushima & Laixun Zhao, 2015. "Multimarket Linkages, Trade and the Productivity Puzzle," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 23(1), pages 1-13, 02.
- Maxime Agbo & Damien Rousselière & Julien Salanié, 2015.
"Agricultural Marketing Cooperatives with Direct Selling : A Cooperative Non Cooperative Game,"
- Agbo, Maxime & Rousselière, Damien & Salanié, Julien, 2015. "Agricultural marketing cooperatives with direct selling: A cooperative–non-cooperative game," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 109(C), pages 56-71.
- Maxime Agbo & Damien Rousselière & Julien Salanié, 2014. "Agricultural marketing cooperatives with direct selling: A cooperative–non-cooperative game," Working Papers halshs-01098762, HAL.
- Maxime Agbo & Damien Rousselière & Julien Salanié, 2014. "Agricultural marketing cooperatives with direct selling : A cooperative non cooperative game," Working Papers 1438, Groupe d'Analyse et de Théorie Economique (GATE), Centre national de la recherche scientifique (CNRS), Université Lyon 2, Ecole Normale Supérieure.
- Alexander F. McQuoid & JaeBin Ahn, 2015. "Capacity Constrained Exporters: Identifying Increasing Marginal Cost," Departmental Working Papers 49, United States Naval Academy Department of Economics.
- repec:hal:journl:halshs-01098762 is not listed on IDEAS
- Panos Fousekis, 2015. "Location equilibria in a mixed duopsony with a cooperative," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 59(4), pages 518-532, October.
- Winston W. Chang & Han Eol Ryu, 2015. "Vertically Related Markets, Foreign Competition and Optimal Privatization Policy," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 23(2), pages 303-319, 05.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:dpr:wpaper:0958. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Fumiko Matsumoto)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.