Knowledge, Location, and Internationalization: Empirical Evidence for Manufacturing SMEs
This paper investigates the links between locational conditions, innovative capabilities and internationalization of manufacturing SMEs. Two modes of foreign market servicing are explored: exporting activity and relocating of selected business activities abroad. The empirical analysis employs two probit models based on survey of about 3,000 firms. The results reveal that the outputs of SMEs' innovative activities-i.e., product innovations and patent applications-enhance exporting propensity as expected. Nevertheless, the input-side indicator-R&D intensity-appears to exert no impact. Further, the locational factor proximity to research institutions promotes SMEs' engagement in exporting. Regarding the determinants of selective relocations abroad, the findings show that SMEs with a high degree of R&D are less likely to separate production from other operations and relocate it abroad. Moreover, manufacturing SMEs assessing the proximity to research facilities, as well as support from various regional authorities and other bodies as important and good-quality locational conditions, exhibit a significantly lower likelihood to relocate selected activities abroad. Indeed, emphasizing the role of institutional setting in firm activity, our findings coincide in this respect with the previous literature focused on innovative milieu, learning regions and regional innovation systems.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.diw.de/en
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Anna Lejpras & Andreas Stephan, 2011.
"Locational conditions, cooperation, and innovativeness: evidence from research and company spin-offs,"
The Annals of Regional Science,
Springer, vol. 46(3), pages 543-575, June.
- Anna Lejpras & Andreas Stephan, 2008. "Locational Conditions, Cooperation, and Innovativeness: Evidence from Research and Company Spin-offs," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 804, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Lejpras, Anna & Stephan, Andreas, 2008. "Locational Conditions, Cooperation, and Innovativeness: evidence from research and company spin-offs," Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation 136, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
- F. Xavier Molina-Morales, 2002. "Industrial districts and innovation: the case of the Spanish ceramic tiles industry," Entrepreneurship & Regional Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(4), pages 317-335, October.
- Maryann Feldman, 1999. "The New Economics Of Innovation, Spillovers And Agglomeration: Areview Of Empirical Studies," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(1-2), pages 5-25.
- Eickelpasch, Alexander & Lejpras, Anna & Stephan, Andreas, 2010. "Locational and Internal Sources of Firm Competitive Advantage: Applying Porter’s Diamond Model at the Firm Level," JIBS Working Papers 2010-6, Jönköping International Business School.
- Helpman, Elhanan & Grossman, Gene M., 1989.
"Product Development and International Trade,"
3445094, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Gene M. Grossman & Elhanan Helpman, 1988. "Product Development and International Trade," NBER Working Papers 2540, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Grossman, G.M. & Helpman, E., 1988. "Product Development And International Trade," Papers 132, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Public and International Affairs.
- Robert G Cooper & Elko J Kleinschmidt, 1985. "The Impact of Export Strategy on Export Sales Performance," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 16(1), pages 37-55, March.
- Mitja Ruzzier & Bostjan Antoncic & Robert D. Hisrich, 2007. "The internationalization of SMEs: developing and testing a multi-dimensional measure on Slovenian firms," Entrepreneurship & Regional Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(2), pages 161-183, March.
- Leonardo Becchetti & Stefania Rossi, 2000. "The Positive Effect of Industrial District on the Export Performance of Italian Firms," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 16(1), pages 53-68, February.
- Crouch, Colin & Gales, Patrick Le & Trigilia, Carlo & Voelzkow, Helmut, 2001. "Local Production Systems in Europe: Rise or Demise?," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199242511, March.
- Bleaney, Michael & Wakelin, Katherine, 2002. " Efficiency, Innovation and Exports," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 64(1), pages 3-15, February.
- John H Dunning, 1998. "Location and the Multinational Enterprise: A Neglected Factor?," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 29(1), pages 45-66, March.
- Alexander Eickelpasch & Oliver Pfirrmann, 2008. "Erschließung des Marktpotenzials in den mittel- und osteuropäischen EU-Mitgliedsstaaten durch kleine und mittlere Unternehmen," DIW Berlin: Politikberatung kompakt, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research, volume 47, number pbk47, May.
- John H Dunning, 1988. "The Eclectic Paradigm of International Production: A Restatement and Some Possible Extensions," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 19(1), pages 1-31, March.
- Roper, Stephen & Love, James H., 2002. "Innovation and export performance: evidence from the UK and German manufacturing plants," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(7), pages 1087-1102, September.
- Jean-François Hennart, 1991. "The Transaction Costs Theory of Joint Ventures: An Empirical Study of Japanese Subsidiaries in the United States," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 37(4), pages 483-497, April.
- Dirk Czarnitzki & Hanna Hottenrott, 2009.
"Are Local Milieus The Key To Innovation Performance?,"
Journal of Regional Science,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(1), pages 81-112.
- Binz, Hanna L. & Czarnitzki, Dirk, 2008. "Are Local Milieus the Key to Innovation Performance?," ZEW Discussion Papers 08-008 [rev.], ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Czarnitzki, Dirk & Binz, Hanna L., 2008. "Are Local Milieus the Key to Innovation Performance?," ZEW Discussion Papers 08-008, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Oerlemans, L.A.G. & Meeus, M.T.H. & Boekema, F.W.M., 2001. "Firm clustering and innovation," Other publications TiSEM c4398688-1710-449a-83e7-e, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Peter J Buckley, 1988. "The Limits of Explanation: Testing the Internalization Theory of the Multinational Enterprise," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 19(2), pages 181-193, June.
- repec:ner:tilbur:urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-175820 is not listed on IDEAS
- Salvador Barrios & Holger Goerg & Eric Strobl, 2003.
"Explaining Firms' Export Behaviour: R&D, Spillovers and the Destination Market,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 65(4), pages 475-496, 09.
- BARRIOS, Salvador & GÖRG, Holger & STROBL, Eric, . "Explaining firms' export behaviour: R&D, spillovers and the destination market," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1654, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Christian Longhi, 1999. "Networks, Collective Learning and Technology Development in Innovative High Technology Regions: The Case of Sophia-Antipolis," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(4), pages 333-342.
- Beise, Marian & Stahl, Harald, 1998.
"Public research and industrial innovations in Germany,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
98-37, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Beise, Marian & Stahl, Harald, 1999. "Public research and industrial innovations in Germany," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 397-422, April.
- Amiti, Mary, 1998. "New Trade Theories and Industrial Location in the EU: A Survey of Evidence," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 14(2), pages 45-53, Summer.
- Olof Brunninge & Mattias Nordqvist & Johan Wiklund, 2007. "Corporate Governance and Strategic Change in SMEs: The Effects of Ownership, Board Composition and Top Management Teams," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 29(3), pages 295-308, October.
- David C. Mowery & Arvids A. Ziedonis, 2001. "The Geographic Reach of Market and Non-Market Channels of Technology Transfer: Comparing Citations and Licenses of University Patents," NBER Working Papers 8568, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Marie Thursby & Richard Jensen, 2001. "Proofs and Prototypes for Sale: The Licensing of University Inventions," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(1), pages 240-259, March.
- Masahisa Fujita & Paul Krugman & Anthony J. Venables, 2001. "The Spatial Economy: Cities, Regions, and International Trade," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262561476, June.
- John D Daniels, 1991. "Relevance in International Business Research: A Need for More Linkages," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 22(2), pages 177-186, June.
- Knight, Gary A., 2001. "Entrepreneurship and strategy in the international SME," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 155-171.
- Erin Anderson & Hubert Gatignon, 1986. "Modes of Foreign Entry: A Transaction Cost Analysis and Propositions," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 17(3), pages 1-26, September.
- F Xavier Molina-Morales & M. Teresa MartÃnez-Fern�ndez, 2006. "Industrial districts: something more than a neighbourhood," Entrepreneurship & Regional Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(6), pages 503-524, November.
- Barringer, Bruce R. & Greening, Daniel W., 1998. "Small business growth through geographic expansion: A comparative case study," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 13(6), pages 467-492, November.
- M. Kirbach & C. Schmiedeberg, 2008. "Innovation And Export Performance: Adjustment And Remaining Differences In East And West German Manufacturing," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(5), pages 435-457.
- Zucker, Lynne G & Darby, Michael R & Brewer, Marilynn B, 1998. "Intellectual Human Capital and the Birth of U.S. Biotechnology Enterprises," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 88(1), pages 290-306, March.
- Heinz Hollenstein, 2005. "Determinants of International Activities: Are SMEs Different?," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 24(5), pages 431-450, 06.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:diw:diwwpp:dp1229. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bibliothek)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.