A production market with given preferences, technology and competition technology is vulnerable if it admits both perfect competition and monopoly or oligopoly. Under decreasing returns, the combination of sunk costs and a potential for monopoly profits can be sufficient basis for vulnerability, allowing a large agent to establish monopoly by installing enough productive capacity. The monopolist deters entry by threatening to oversupply the market. The threat is credible if the future discount rate is low enough and if reputation dynamics do not invite a slow loss of market power. Vulnerable markets allow financial institutions to concentrate ownership for profit.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Niels Bohrs Vej 9, 6700 Esbjerg|
Phone: +45 6550 2233
Fax: +45 6550 1090
Web page: http://degit.sam.sdu.dk/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pot Erik & Peeters Ronald & Peters Hans & Vermeulen Dries, 2010. "Intentional Price Wars on the Equilibrium Path," Research Memorandum 028, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Drew Fudenberg & Jean Tirole, 1986. "A "Signal-Jamming" Theory of Predation," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 17(3), pages 366-376, Autumn.
- Codognato, Giulio, 1995. "Cournot-Walras and Cournot Equilibria in Mixed Markets: A Comparison," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 5(2), pages 361-370, March.
- Busetto, Francesca & Codognato, Giulio & Ghosal, Sayantan, 2011.
"Noncooperative oligopoly in markets with a continuum of traders,"
Games and Economic Behavior,
Elsevier, vol. 72(1), pages 38-45, May.
- Busetto, Francesca & Codognato, Giulio & Ghosal, Sayantan, 2008. "Noncooperative Oligopoly in Markets with a Continuum of Traders," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 866, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Sahi, Siddhartha & Yao, Shuntian, 1989. "The non-cooperative equilibria of a trading economy with complete markets and consistent prices," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 325-346, September.
- Masahiro Okuno, 1977.
"Oligopoly and Competition in Large Markets,"
305, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Roth, David, 1996. "Rationalizable Predatory Pricing," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 68(2), pages 380-396, February.
- Busetto, Francesca & Codognato, Giulio & Ghosal, Sayantan, 2008. "Cournot-Walras Equilibrium as a Subgame Perfect Equilibrium," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 837, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Shitovitz, Benyamin, 1973. "Oligopoly in Markets with a Continuum of Traders," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 41(3), pages 467-501, May.
- repec:hhs:iuiwop:516 is not listed on IDEAS
- Osterdal, Lars Peter, 2003. "A note on the stability of collusion in differentiated oligopolies," Research in Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(1), pages 53-64, March.
- CODOGNATO, Giulio & GHOSAL, Sayantan, 1994. "Cournot Equilibria in Markets with a Continuum of Traders," CORE Discussion Papers 1994059, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:deg:conpap:c016_040. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jan Pedersen)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.