Economic Integration, Lobbying by Firms and Workers, and Technological Change
I examine a common market with the following institutions. Oligopolistic firms improve their productivity by R&D. Wages are determined by union-employer bargaining. Firms and workers lobby the authority that accepts new members and regulates unions' and firms' market power. The main findings are as follows. Small common markets have incentives to expand, but large ones are indifferent to new members. With product market deregulation, there is an upper limit for the size of the common market and the growth rate diminishes with integration.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Niels Bohrs Vej 9, 6700 Esbjerg|
Phone: +45 6550 2233
Fax: +45 6550 1090
Web page: http://degit.sam.sdu.dk/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cahuc, Pierre & Michel, Philippe, 1996.
"Minimum wage unemployment and growth,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 40(7), pages 1463-1482, August.
- Meckl, Jurgen, 2004. "Accumulation of technological knowledge, wage differentials, and unemployment," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 65-82, March.
- Naercio Menezes-Filho & David Ulph & John Van Reenen, 1998. "R&D and Unionism: Comparative Evidence from British Companies and Establishments," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 52(1), pages 45-63, October.
- Tapio Palokangas, 2004. "Union-Firm Bargaining, Productivity Improvement and Endogenous Growth," LABOUR, CEIS, vol. 18(2), pages 191-205, 06.
- Ryo Horii & Tatsuro Iwaisako, 2007.
"Economic Growth with Imperfect Protection of Intellectual Property Rights,"
Journal of Economics,
Springer, vol. 90(1), pages 45-85, January.
- Ryo Horii & Tatsuro Iwaisako, 2005. "Economic Growth with Imperfect Protection of Intellectual Property Rights," Development and Comp Systems 0508001, EconWPA.
- Ryo Horii & Tatsuro Iwaisako, 2005. "Economic Growth with Imperfect Protection of Intellectual Property Rights," Discussion Papers in Economics and Business 05-23, Osaka University, Graduate School of Economics and Osaka School of International Public Policy (OSIPP).
- Ryo Horii & Tatsuro Iwaisako, 2005. "Economic Growth with Imperfect Protection of Intellectual Property Rights," Discussion Papers in Economics and Business 05-23-Rev., Osaka University, Graduate School of Economics and Osaka School of International Public Policy (OSIPP), revised Apr 2006.
- Palokangas,Tapio, 2010.
"Labour Unions, Public Policy and Economic Growth,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521144056, December.
- Palokangas, Tapio, 1996. "Endogenous growth and collective bargaining," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 20(5), pages 925-944, May.
- Walde, Klaus, 1999. "A Model of Creative Destruction with Undiversifiable Risk and Optimising Households," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 109(454), pages C156-71, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:deg:conpap:c013_003. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jan Pedersen)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.