A Dynamic Growth Model for Flows of Foreign Direct Investment
In this work, we for the first time study the dynamic flows of the foreign direct investment (FDI) with a dynamic growth theory. We define the FDI flow as a process which transmits throughout a given social system by way of diverse communication channels. In model formulation, seven assumptions are thus proposed and the foreign capital policy of the host country is considered as an external influence; in addition, the investment policy of the investing country is modeled as an internal influence. Classification of influences is mainly according to the operational strategy as well as the consideration of economical/financial factors. The dynamic model of FDI flow is a differential equation which is solved numerically and verified with collected realistic data. Application of the developed model to explore, taking the electronics industry in Taiwan as an example, Taiwanese direct investment (TDI) in China (i.e. FDI flows from Taiwan to China) since 2001 is conducted. Our preliminary results successfully account for the dynamics of FDI flow for different amount of TDI outflows. It is found that the internal influence dominates the growth of TDI flow from Taiwan to China during 2001-2006.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Niels Bohrs Vej 9, 6700 Esbjerg|
Phone: +45 6550 2233
Fax: +45 6550 1090
Web page: http://degit.sam.sdu.dk/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Caves, Richard E, 1971. "International Corporations: The Industrial Economics of Foreign Investment," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 38(149), pages 1-27, February.
- Dees, Stephane, 1998.
"Foreign Direct Investment in China: Determinants and Effects,"
Economic Change and Restructuring,
Springer, vol. 31(2-3), pages 175-94.
- Stèphane Dees, 1998. "Foreign Direct Investment in China: Determinants and Effects," Economic Change and Restructuring, Springer, vol. 31(2), pages 175-194, May.
- Choi, Jongmoo Jay & Jeon, Bang Nam, 2007. "Financial factors in foreign direct investments: A dynamic analysis of international data," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 1-18, January.
- Jonathan Lee & Peter Boatwright & Wagner A. Kamakura, 2003. "A Bayesian Model for Prelaunch Sales Forecasting of Recorded Music," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 49(2), pages 179-196, February.
- Eduardo Levy Yeyati & Ugo Panizza & Ernesto H. Stein, 2003.
"The Cyclical Nature of North-South FDI Flows,"
IDB Publications (Working Papers)
6502, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Eduardo Levy Yeyati & Ugo Panizza & Ernesto H. Stein, 2003. "The Cyclical Nature of North-South FDI Flows," Research Department Publications 4317, .
- Eduardo Levy-Yeyati & Ugo Panizza & Ernesto Stein, 2002. "The Cyclical Nature of North-South FDI Flows," Business School Working Papers quince, Universidad Torcuato Di Tella.
- Rogers, Everett M, 1976. " New Product Adoption and Diffusion," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 2(4), pages 290-301, March.
- Bruce Robinson & Chet Lakhani, 1975. "Dynamic Price Models for New-Product Planning," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 21(10), pages 1113-1122, June.
- Loungani, Prakash & Mody, Ashoka & Razin, Assaf, 2002. "The Global Disconnect: The Role of Transactional Distance and Scale Economies in Gravity Equations," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 49(5), pages 526-43, December.
- Brennan, Michael J & Schwartz, Eduardo S, 1985. "Evaluating Natural Resource Investments," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 58(2), pages 135-57, April.
- Hooper, Vince & Kim, Suk-Joong, 2007. "The determinants of capital inflows: Does opacity of recipient country explain the flows?," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 35-48, March.
- Kugler, Maurice & Rapoport, Hillel, 2007. "International labor and capital flows: Complements or substitutes?," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 94(2), pages 155-162, February.
- Deng, Ping, 2007. "Investing for strategic resources and its rationale: The case of outward FDI from Chinese companies," Business Horizons, Elsevier, vol. 50(1), pages 71-81.
- Ting Gao, 2005. "Foreign Direct Investment In China: How Big Are The Roles Of Culture And Geography?," Pacific Economic Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 10(2), pages 153-166, 06.
- Tuan, Chyau & Ng, Linda F. Y., 2004. "Manufacturing agglomeration as incentives to Asian FDI in China after WTO," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 673-693, August.
- Assaf Razin, 2003. "FDI Flows and Domestic Investment: Overview," CESifo Economic Studies, CESifo, vol. 49(3), pages 415-428.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:deg:conpap:c012_047. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jan Pedersen)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.