An Estimation of Economic Models with Recursive Preferences
This paper presents estimates of key preference parameters of the Epstein and Zin (1989, 1991) and Weil (1989) (EZW) recursive utility model, evaluates the model's ability to fit asset return data relative to other asset pricing models, and investigates the implications of such estimates for the unobservable aggregate wealth return. Our empirical results indicate that the estimated relative risk aversion parameter ranges from 17-60, with higher values for aggregate consumption than for stockholder consumption, while the estimated elasticity of intertemporal substitution is above one. In addition, the estimated model-implied aggregate wealth return is found to be weakly correlated with the CRSP value-weighted stock market return, suggesting that the return to human wealth is negatively correlated with the aggregate stock market return.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Quantitative Economics (2013), 4(1), 39-83|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (203) 432-3702
Fax: (203) 432-6167
Web page: http://cowles.econ.yale.edu/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Cowles Foundation, Yale University, Box 208281, New Haven, CT 06520-8281 USA|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fernando Restoy & Philippe Weil, 1995.
"Approximate Equilibrium Asset Prices,"
Banco de Espa�a Working Papers
9515, Banco de Espa�a.
- Rui Castro & Claudio Campanale & Gian Luca Clementi, 2007.
"Asset Pricing in a General Equilibrium Production Economy with Chew-Dekel Risk Preferences,"
2007 Meeting Papers
503, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Claudio Campanale & Gian Luca Clementi & Rui Castro, 2008. "Asset Pricing in a General Equilibrium Production Economy with Chew-Dekel Risk Preferences," Working Papers. Serie AD 2008-14, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Riccardo Colacito & Mariano Croce, 2005.
"Risks For The Long Run And The Real Exchange Rate,"
2005 Meeting Papers
794, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Heaton, John, 1993. "The Interaction between Time-Nonseparable Preferences and Time Aggregation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 61(2), pages 353-85, March.
- Attanasio, Orazio P & Weber, Guglielmo, 1993. "Consumption Growth, the Interest Rate and Aggregation," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 60(3), pages 631-49, July.
- Hanno Lustig & Stijn Van Nieuwerburgh, 2008.
"The Returns on Human Capital: Good News on Wall Street is Bad News on Main Street,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 21(5), pages 2097-2137, September.
- Hanno Lustig & Stijn Van Nieuwerburgh, 2005. "The Returns on Human Capital: Good News on Wall Street is Bad News on Main Street," NBER Working Papers 11564, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stijn Van Nieuwerburgh & Hanno Lustig, 2007.
"The Wealth-Consumption Ratio: A Litmus Test for Consumption-Based Asset Pricing Models,"
2007 Meeting Papers
398, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Hanno Lustig, . "The Wealth-Consumption Ratio: A Litmus Test for Consumption-based Asset Pricing Models," UCLA Economics Online Papers 420, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Hanno Lustig & Stijn Van Nieuwerburg & Adrien Verdelhan, 2007. "The Wealth-Consumption Ratio: A Litmus Test for Consumption-based Asset Pricing Models¤," Boston University - Department of Economics - Working Papers Series WP2007-030, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Xavier Gabaix & David Laibson, 2002.
"The 6D Bias and the Equity Premium Puzzle,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1947, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Ravi Bansal & Robert Dittmar & Dana Kiku, 2007.
"Cointegration and Consumption Risks in Asset Returns,"
NBER Working Papers
13108, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ravi Bansal & Robert Dittmar & Dana Kiku, 2009. "Cointegration and Consumption Risks in Asset Returns," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 22(3), pages 1343-1375, March.
- Annette Vissing-Jorgensen, 2002. "Limited Asset Market Participation and the Elasticity of Intertemporal Substitution," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 110(4), pages 825-853, August.
- Mariano M. Croce & Martin Lettau & Sydney C. Ludvigson, 2007. "Investor Information, Long-Run Risk, and the Term Structure of Equity," NBER Working Papers 12912, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Orazio Attanasio & James Banks & Sarah Tanner, 1998.
"Asset holding and consumption volatility,"
IFS Working Papers
W98/08, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Phillippe Weil, 1997.
"The Equity Premium Puzzle and the Risk-Free Rate Puzzle,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
1833, David K. Levine.
- Weil, Philippe, 1989. "The equity premium puzzle and the risk-free rate puzzle," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 401-421, November.
- Philippe Weil, 1989. "The Equity Premium Puzzle and the Riskfree Rate Puzzle," NBER Working Papers 2829, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hodrick, Robert J, 1992.
"Dividend Yields and Expected Stock Returns: Alternative Procedures for Inference and Measurement,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 5(3), pages 357-86.
- Tom Doan, . "OLSHODRICK: RATS procedure to compute Hodrick standard errors," Statistical Software Components RTS00147, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Annette Vissing-Jorgensen, 2002. "Limited Asset Market Participation and the Elasticity of Intertemporal Substitution," NBER Working Papers 8896, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hansen, Lars Peter & Heaton, John & Lee, Junghoon & Roussanov, Nikolai, 2007. "Intertemporal Substitution and Risk Aversion," Handbook of Econometrics, in: J.J. Heckman & E.E. Leamer (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 6, chapter 61 Elsevier.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cwl:cwldpp:1883. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Glena Ames)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.