Approximate Equilibrium Asset Prices
Arguing that total consumer wealth is unobservable, we invert the (approximate) consumption function to reconstruct, in a world with Kreps-Porteus generalized isoelastic preferences, (i) the wealth that supports the agents' observed consumption as an optimal outcome and (ii) the rate of return on the consumers' wealth portfolio. This allows us to (approximately) price assets solely as a function of their payoffs and of consumption--in both homoskedastic or heteroskedastic environments. We compare implied equilibrium returns on the wealth portfolio to observed stock market returns and gauge whether the stock market is a good proxy for unobserved aggregate wealth. Copyright 2011, Oxford University Press.
Volume (Year): 15 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://rof.oxfordjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.oup.co.uk/journals|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Phillippe Weil, 1997.
"The Equity Premium Puzzle and the Risk-Free Rate Puzzle,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
1833, David K. Levine.
- Weil, Philippe, 1989. "The equity premium puzzle and the risk-free rate puzzle," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 401-421, November.
- Philippe Weil, 1989. "The Equity Premium Puzzle and the Riskfree Rate Puzzle," NBER Working Papers 2829, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John Y. Campbell, 1995.
"Understanding Risk and Return,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1711, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Alberto Giovannini & Philippe Weil, 1989. "Risk Aversion and Intertemporal Substitution in the Capital Asset Pricing Model," NBER Working Papers 2824, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- DREZE, Jacques H. & MODIGLIANI, Franco, .
"Cosumption decisions under uncertainty,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-119, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- R. Mehra & E. Prescott, 2010.
"The equity premium: a puzzle,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
1401, David K. Levine.
- John W. Kendrick, 1976. "The Formation and Stocks of Total Capital," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number kend76-1, May.
- Lucas, Robert E, Jr, 1978. "Asset Prices in an Exchange Economy," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(6), pages 1429-45, November.
- Kocherlakota, Narayana R, 1990. " Disentangling the Coefficient of Relative Risk Aversion from the Elasticity of Intertemporal Substitution: An Irrelevance Result," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 45(1), pages 175-90, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:oup:revfin:v:15:y:2011:i:1:p:1-28. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.