On Confidence Intervals for Autoregressive Roots and Predictive Regression
A prominent use of local to unity limit theory in applied work is the construction of confidence intervals for autogressive roots through inversion of the ADF t statistic associated with a unit root test, as suggested in Stock (1991). Such confidence intervals are valid when the true model has an autoregressive root that is local to unity (rho = 1 + (c/n)) but are invalid at the limits of the domain of definition of the localizing coefficient c because of a failure in tightness and the escape of probability mass. Consideration of the boundary case shows that these confidence intervals are invalid for stationary autoregression where they manifest locational bias and width distortion. In particular, the coverage probability of these intervals tends to zero as c approaches -infinity, and the width of the intervals exceeds the width of intervals constructed in the usual way under stationarity. Some implications of these results for predictive regression tests are explored. It is shown that when the regressor has autoregressive coefficient |rho|
|Date of creation:||Sep 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Econometrica (May 2014), 82(3): 1177-1195|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (203) 432-3702
Fax: (203) 432-6167
Web page: http://cowles.yale.edu/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Cowles Foundation, Yale University, Box 208281, New Haven, CT 06520-8281 USA|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Tassos Magdalinos, 2004.
"Limit Theory for Moderate Deviations from a Unit Root,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1471, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Phillips, Peter C.B. & Magdalinos, Tassos, 2007. "Limit theory for moderate deviations from a unit root," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 136(1), pages 115-130, January.
- Peter C.B.Phillips & Tassos Magdalinos, 2009. "Econometric Inference in the Vicinity of Unity," Working Papers CoFie-06-2009, Sim Kee Boon Institute for Financial Economics.
- Alexandros Kostakis & Tassos Magdalinos & Michalis P. Stamatogiannis, 2015. "Robust Econometric Inference for Stock Return Predictability," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 28(5), pages 1506-1553.
- Elliott, Graham & Stock, James H., 2001. "Confidence intervals for autoregressive coefficients near one," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 103(1-2), pages 155-181, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cwl:cwldpp:1879. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Glena Ames)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.