Nonlinear Instrumental Variable Estimation of an Autoregression
Instrumental variable (IV) estimation methods that allow for certain nonlinear functions of the data as instruments are studied. The context of the discussion is the simple unit root model where certain advantages to the use of nonlinear instruments are revealed. In particular, certain classes of IV estimators and associated t-tests are shown to have simpler (standard) limit theory in contrast to the least squares estimator, providing an opportunity for the study of optimal estimation in certain IV classes and furnishing tests and confidence intervals that allow for unit root and stationary alternatives. The Cauchy estimator studied in recent work by So and Shin (1999) is shown to have such an optimality property in the class of certain IV procedures with bounded instruments.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Journal of Econometrics (2004), 118(1-2): 219-246|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Yale University, Box 208281, New Haven, CT 06520-8281 USA|
Phone: (203) 432-3702
Fax: (203) 432-6167
Web page: http://cowles.yale.edu/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Cowles Foundation, Yale University, Box 208281, New Haven, CT 06520-8281 USA|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- So, Beong Soo & Shin, Dong Wan, 1999. "Cauchy Estimators For Autoregressive Processes With Applications To Unit Root Tests And Confidence Intervals," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 15(02), pages 165-176, April.
- Andrews, Donald W K, 1993. "Exactly Median-Unbiased Estimation of First Order Autoregressive/Unit Root Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 61(1), pages 139-65, January.
- Moon, Hyungsik R. & Phillips, Peter C.B., 1999.
"Estimation of Autoregressive Roots near Unity using Panel Data,"
University of California at Santa Barbara, Economics Working Paper Series
qt7fd8x80m, Department of Economics, UC Santa Barbara.
- Moon, Hyungsik R. & Phillips, Peter C.B., 2000. "Estimation Of Autoregressive Roots Near Unity Using Panel Data," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 16(06), pages 927-997, December.
- Hyungsik R. Moon & Peter C.B. Phillips, 1999. "Estimation of Autoregressive Roots Near Unity Using Panel Data," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1224, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Joon Y. Park & Peter C.B. Phillips, 1998.
"Nonlinear Regressions with Integrated Time Series,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1190, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Joon Y. Park, 1998.
"Asymptotics for Nonlinear Transformations of Integrated Time Series,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1182, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Park, Joon Y. & Phillips, Peter C.B., 1999. "Asymptotics For Nonlinear Transformations Of Integrated Time Series," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 15(03), pages 269-298, June.
- Peter C. B. Phillips & Bruce E. Hansen, 1990. "Statistical Inference in Instrumental Variables Regression with I(1) Processes," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 57(1), pages 99-125.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cwl:cwldpp:1331. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Matthew C. Regan)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.