Regional Trade Integration in Southern Africa: Critical Policy Issues
The aim of this paper is to highlight key issues arising from regional trade integration in the Southern African Development Community (SADC) as well as the concomitant policies required to facilitate the trade process. The paper highlights issues pertaining to distribution effects arising from integrating unequal partners and the need for open trade policies in order to realise potential positive spillovers. The main policy issues discussed are competition policies, standards and related technical regulations, rules of origin, macroeconomic policies, fiscal revenue implications, industrial strategies and the need for an appropriate institutional framework.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2000|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Working Paper Series by the Development Policy Research Unit, September 2000, pages 1-26|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +27 21 650 5705
Fax: +27 21 650 5711
Web page: http://www.dpru.uct.ac.za
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ben-David, Dan, 1993. "Equalizing Exchange: Trade Liberalization and Income Convergence," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 108(3), pages 653-79, August.
- Stephenson, Sherry M., 1997. "Standards and conformity assessment as nontariff barriers to trade," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1826, The World Bank.
- Paul Romer, 1989.
"Endogenous Technological Change,"
NBER Working Papers
3210, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- R. G. Parr, 1994. "Intra-industry Trade and the Prospect of Trade Liberalisation in South Africa," South African Journal of Economics, Economic Society of South Africa, vol. 62(4), pages 234-242, December.
- Yeats, Alexander J. & DEC, 1994. "What are OECD trade preferences worth to sub-Saharan Africa?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1254, The World Bank.
- Coe, David T & Helpman, Elhanan & Hoffmaister, Alexander W, 1997.
"North-South R&D Spillovers,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 107(440), pages 134-49, January.
- Coe, David T & Helpman, Elhanan & Hoffmaister, Alexander, 1995. "North-South R&D Spillovers," CEPR Discussion Papers 1133, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- David T. Coe & Elhanan Helpman & Alexander Hoffmaister, 1995. "North-South R&D Spillovers," NBER Working Papers 5048, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Carolyn Jenkins & Lynne Thomas, 1997. "Is Southern Africa ready for regional monetary integration?," CSAE Working Paper Series 1997-03, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Michelle Casario, 1996. "North American Free Trade Agreement Bilateral Trade Effects," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 14(1), pages 36-47, 01.
- Mankiw, N Gregory & Romer, David & Weil, David N, 1992.
"A Contribution to the Empirics of Economic Growth,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 107(2), pages 407-37, May.
- C.L. McCarthy, 1999. "Polarised Development in a SADC Free Trade Area," South African Journal of Economics, Economic Society of South Africa, vol. 67(4), pages 211-220, December.
- Sven Arndt, 1996. "North American Free Trade: An assessment," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 7(1), pages 77-92, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ctw:wpaper:00042. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Waseema Petersen)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.