Basic income and unemployment in a unionized economy
This paper develops a dynamic general equilibrium model of a unionized economy to analyze the impact of unconditional basic income schemes on unemployment. Starting from a given level of the unemployment benefits, two reforms are envisaged : one where these benefits are replaced by a higher unconditional grant (the full basic income) and another where the income of the unemployed remains unchanged (the partial basic income). Assuming a proportional tax on earnings and a balanced budget of the State, it is shown that the equilibrium unemployment rate decreases if a partial basic income is implemented. The same conclusion holds for a sufficiently small full basic income.
|Date of creation:||01 Jul 1997|
|Date of revision:||10 Jul 1997|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Place Montesquieu 3, 1348 Louvain-la-Neuve (Belgium)|
Fax: +32 10473945
Web page: http://www.uclouvain.be/ires
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Layard, R. & Nickell, S., 1988.
"Is Unemployment Lower If Unions Bargain Over Employment?,"
308, London School of Economics - Centre for Labour Economics.
- Richard Layard & Stephen Nickell, 1990. "Is Unemployment Lower if Unions Bargain over Employment?," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 105(3), pages 773-787.
- Dor, E. & Van der Linden, B. & Lopez-Novella, M., 1995.
"On Labour Market Policies and Aggregate Unemployment Outflows,"
Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales)
1995015, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Dor, Eric & Van der Linden, Bruno & Lopez-Novella, Maritza, 1997. "On Labour Market Policies and Aggregate Unemployment Outflows," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 59(1), pages 109-31, February.
- Huizinga, F. & Schiantarelli, F., 1992.
"Dynamics and Asymetric Adjustment in Insider-Outsider Models,"
92-12, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Huizinga, F & Schiantarelli, Fabio, 1992. "Dynamics and Asymmetric Adjustment in Insider-Outsider Models," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 102(415), pages 1451-66, November.
- Bowles, Samuel, 1992. "Is income security possible in a capitalist economy? : An agency-theoretic analysis of an unconditional income grant," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 557-578, December.
- repec:ant:wpaper:1993012 is not listed on IDEAS
- Burda, Michael & Wyplosz, Charles, 1994.
"Gross worker and job flows in Europe,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 38(6), pages 1287-1315, June.
- James Meade., . "Agathotopia," Hume Papers 16, David Hume Institute.
- Lockwood, Ben & Manning, Alan, 1993. "Wage setting and the tax system theory and evidence for the United Kingdom," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 1-29, August.
- Alan Manning, 1992.
"Wage Bargaining and the Phillips Curve: The Identification and Specification of Aggregate Wage Equations,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0062, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Manning, Alan, 1993. "Wage Bargaining and the Phillips Curve: The Identification and Specification of Aggregate Wage Equations," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 103(416), pages 98-118, January.
- Layard, Richard & Nickell, Stephen & Jackman, Richard, 1991.
"Unemployment: Macroeconomic Performance and the Labour Market,"
Oxford University Press, number 9780198284345, December.
- Layard, Richard & Nickell, Stephen & Jackman, Richard, 2005. "Unemployment: Macroeconomic Performance and the Labour Market," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199279173, December.
- Manning, Alan, 1991. "The Determinants of Wage Pressure: Some Implications of a Dynamic Model," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 58(231), pages 325-39, August.
- KÉSENNE, Stefan, 1993. "The unemployment impact of a basic income," SESO Working Papers 1993012, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ctl:louvir:1997014. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anne DAVISTER-LOGIST)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.