Basic income and unemployment in a unionized economy
This paper develops a dynamic general equilibrium model of a unionized economy to analyze the impact of unconditional basic income schemes on unemployment. Starting from a given level of the unemployment benefits, two reforms are envisaged : one where these benefits are replaced by a higher unconditional grant (the full basic income) and another where the income of the unemployed remains unchanged (the partial basic income). Assuming a proportional tax on earnings and a balanced budget of the State, it is shown that the equilibrium unemployment rate decreases if a partial basic income is implemented. The same conclusion holds for a sufficiently small full basic income.
|Date of creation:||01 Jul 1997|
|Date of revision:||10 Jul 1997|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Place Montesquieu 3, 1348 Louvain-la-Neuve (Belgium)|
Fax: +32 10473945
Web page: http://www.uclouvain.be/ires
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Manning, Alan, 1991. "The Determinants of Wage Pressure: Some Implications of a Dynamic Model," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 58(231), pages 325-39, August.
- Lockwood, Ben & Manning, Alan, 1993. "Wage setting and the tax system theory and evidence for the United Kingdom," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 1-29, August.
- Dor, Eric & Van der Linden, Bruno & Lopez-Novella, Maritza, 1997.
"On Labour Market Policies and Aggregate Unemployment Outflows,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 59(1), pages 109-31, February.
- Dor, E. & Van der Linden, B. & Lopez-Novella, M., 1995. "On Labour Market Policies and Aggregate Unemployment Outflows," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 1995015, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Richard Layard & Stephen Nickell, 1990.
"Is Unemployment Lower if Unions Bargain over Employment?,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 105(3), pages 773-787.
- Layard, R. & Nickell, S., 1988. "Is Unemployment Lower If Unions Bargain Over Employment?," Papers 308, London School of Economics - Centre for Labour Economics.
- Alan Manning, 1992.
"Wage Bargaining and the Phillips Curve: The Identification and Specification of Aggregate Wage Equations,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0062, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Manning, Alan, 1993. "Wage Bargaining and the Phillips Curve: The Identification and Specification of Aggregate Wage Equations," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 103(416), pages 98-118, January.
- James Meade., . "Agathotopia," Hume Papers 16, David Hume Institute.
- Bowles, Samuel, 1992. "Is income security possible in a capitalist economy? : An agency-theoretic analysis of an unconditional income grant," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 557-578, December.
- repec:ant:wpaper:1993012 is not listed on IDEAS
- Huizinga, F. & Schiantarelli, F., 1992.
"Dynamics and Asymetric Adjustment in Insider-Outsider Models,"
92-12, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Huizinga, F & Schiantarelli, Fabio, 1992. "Dynamics and Asymmetric Adjustment in Insider-Outsider Models," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 102(415), pages 1451-66, November.
- KÉSENNE, Stefan, 1993. "The unemployment impact of a basic income," SESO Working Papers 1993012, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
- Burda, Michael & Wyplosz, Charles, 1994.
"Gross worker and job flows in Europe,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 38(6), pages 1287-1315, June.
- Layard, Richard & Nickell, Stephen & Jackman, Richard, 2005.
"Unemployment: Macroeconomic Performance and the Labour Market,"
Oxford University Press, number 9780199279173, December.
- Layard, Richard & Nickell, Stephen & Jackman, Richard, 1991. "Unemployment: Macroeconomic Performance and the Labour Market," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198284345, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ctl:louvir:1997014. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anne DAVISTER-LOGIST)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.