The axiomatic properties of an entropy based index of segregation
This paper reviews the properties suggested in the methodological literature on the measurement of occupational gender segregation. It is found that an index of (relative) segregation based on the entropy concept, IE, satisfies thirteen basic axioms previously proposed in the single-dimensional case, and can be expressed as the sum of a between-group and a within-group term both for any partition of the set of occupations and in the two-dimensional case.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert Hutchens, 2004. "One Measure of Segregation," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 45(2), pages 555-578, 05.
- Boisso, Dale & Hayes, Kathy & Hirschberg, Joseph & Silber, Jacques, 1994. "Occupational segregation in the multidimensional case : Decomposition and tests of significance," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 61(1), pages 161-171, March.
- Hutchens, Robert, 2001. "Numerical measures of segregation: desirable properties and their implications," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 13-29, July.
- Ricardo Mora & Javier Ruiz-Castillo, 2003.
"Additively Decomposable Segregation Indexes. The Case of Gender Segregation by Occupations and Human Capital Levels in Spain,"
Journal of Economic Inequality,
Springer, vol. 1(2), pages 147-179, August.
- Ruiz-Castillo, Javier & Mora, Ricardo, 2003. "Additively decomposable segregation indexes. The case of gender segregation by occupations and human capital levels in Spain," UC3M Working papers. Economics we031503, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Economía.
- Deutsch, Joseph & Fluckiger, Yves & Silber, Jacques, 1994. "Measuring occupational segregation : Summary statistics and the impact of classification errors and aggregation," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 61(1), pages 133-146, March.
- Silber, Jacques, 1989. "Factor Components, Population Subgroups and the Computation of the Gini Index of Inequality," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 71(1), pages 107-15, February.
- Ruiz-Castillo, Javier & Mora, Ricardo, 2003. "An evaluation of an entropy based index of segregation," UC3M Working papers. Economics we034014, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Economía.
- Shorrocks, A F, 1980. "The Class of Additively Decomposable Inequality Measures," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(3), pages 613-25, April.
- Butler, Richard J., 1987. "New indices of segregation," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 359-362.
- Ruiz-Castillo, Javier & Mora, Ricardo, 2003.
"Gender segregation : from birth to occupation,"
UC3M Working papers. Economics
we033612, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Economía.
- Silber, Jacques, 1992. "Occupational Segregation Indices in the Multidimensional Case: A Note," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 68(202), pages 276-77, September.
- Silber, Jacques G., 1989. "On the measurement of employment segregation," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 237-243, September.
- Karmel, T & Maclachlan, M, 1988. "Occupational Sex Segregation--Increasing or Decreasing?," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 64(186), pages 187-95, September.
- Barbara S. Zoloth, 1976. "Alternative Measures of School Segregation," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 52(3), pages 278-298.
- Anthony F. Shorrocks & James E. Foster, 1987. "Transfer Sensitive Inequality Measures," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 54(3), pages 485-497.
- Victor R. Fuchs, 1975. "A Note on Sex Segregation in Professional Occupations," NBER Chapters, in: Explorations in Economic Research, Volume 2, number 1, pages 105-111 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Borghans, Lex & Groot, Loek, 1999. "Educational presorting and occupational segregation," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 375-395, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cte:werepe:we056231. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ana Poveda)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.