An Evaluation Of An Entropy Based Index Of Segregation
This paper reviews the properties suggested in the methodological literature on the measurement of gender segregation by occupation. It is found that an index of segregation based on the entropy concept satisfies twelve basic axioms previously proposed in the single-dimensional case. This index can be expressed as the sum of a between-group and a within-group term in the two-dimensional case. In pair-wise comparisons, it can be meaningfully decomposed into three terms, one of which is independent of both the gender composition of the population and the population’s distribution across occupations. Finally, it can be motivated as two different loglikelihood tests in nonparametric econometric models. Other existing measures of segregation either fail to satisfy one or more of the basic axioms, do not admit a between/within decomposition, have not been motivated from a statistical approach, or are based on more restricted econometric models.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +34-91 6249594
Fax: +34-91 6249329
Web page: http://www.eco.uc3m.es
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Butler, Richard J., 1987. "New indices of segregation," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 359-362.
- Deutsch, Joseph & Fluckiger, Yves & Silber, Jacques, 1994. "Measuring occupational segregation : Summary statistics and the impact of classification errors and aggregation," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 61(1), pages 133-146, March.
- Boisso, Dale & Hayes, Kathy & Hirschberg, Joseph & Silber, Jacques, 1994. "Occupational segregation in the multidimensional case : Decomposition and tests of significance," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 61(1), pages 161-171, March.
- Karmel, T & Maclachlan, M, 1988. "Occupational Sex Segregation--Increasing or Decreasing?," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 64(186), pages 187-95, September.
- Neus Herranza & Ricardo Mora & Javier Ruiz-Castillo, 2003.
"An Algorithm To Reduce The Occupational Space In Gender Segregation Studies,"
Economics Working Papers
we031402, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- Ricardo Mora & Javier Ruiz-Castillo & Neus Herranz, 2005. "An algorithm to reduce the occupational space in gender segregation studies," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(1), pages 25-37.
- Hutchens, Robert, 2001. "Numerical measures of segregation: desirable properties and their implications," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 13-29, July.
- Bourguignon, Francois, 1979. "Decomposable Income Inequality Measures," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(4), pages 901-20, July.
- Francine D. Blau & Wallace E. Hendricks, 1979. "Occupational Segregation by Sex: Trends and Prospects," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 14(2), pages 197-210.
- Victor R. Fuchs, 1975. "A Note on Sex Segregation in Professional Occupations," NBER Chapters, in: Explorations in Economic Research, Volume 2, number 1, pages 105-111 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ricardo Mora & Javier Ruiz-Castillo, 2003. "Gender Segregation: From Birth To Occupation," Economics Working Papers we033612, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- Ricardo Mora & Javier Ruiz-Castillo, 2003.
"Additively Decomposable Segregation Indexes. The Case of Gender Segregation by Occupations and Human Capital Levels in Spain,"
Journal of Economic Inequality,
Springer, vol. 1(2), pages 147-179, August.
- Ricardo Mora & Javier Ruiz-Castillo, 2003. "Additively Decomposable Segregation Indexes. The Case Of Gender Segregation By Occupations And Human Capital Levels In Spain," Economics Working Papers we031503, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- Borghans, Lex & Groot, Loek, 1999. "Educational presorting and occupational segregation," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 375-395, September.
- Shorrocks, Anthony F & Foster, James E, 1987. "Transfer Sensitive Inequality Measures," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 54(3), pages 485-97, July.
- Shorrocks, A F, 1980. "The Class of Additively Decomposable Inequality Measures," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(3), pages 613-25, April.
- Silber, Jacques, 1989. "Factor Components, Population Subgroups and the Computation of the Gini Index of Inequality," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 71(1), pages 107-15, February.
- Silber, Jacques, 1992. "Occupational Segregation Indices in the Multidimensional Case: A Note," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 68(202), pages 276-77, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cte:werepe:we034014. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.