Asset allocation in the Athens Stock Exchange: A variance sensitivity analysis
This paper provides an analysis of asset allocation using univariate portfolio GARCH models from the Athens Stock Exchange. We use daily data for the period January 1997 to February 2005. Our analysis adopts the methodology due to Manganelli (2004) and we are able to recover from the univariate approach the multivariate dimension of the portfolio allocation problem. Manganelli (2004) suggests that such a dual problem can be solved with the application of a variance sensitivity analysis which considers the change in the portfolio variance induced by an infinitesimal change in the portfolio allocation. Our main findings are based on the estimation of the variance sensitivity for a portfolio of two assets and the way sensitivity has been changing over time and this has implications for risk management. In addition we compute the second derivative of the estimated variance with respect to portfolio weights and this gives an indication of the benefits arising from diversification at any given point of time.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Gallos - Rethymno 74100|
Phone: +30 831 77405
Fax: +30 831 77406
Web page: http://economics.soc.uoc.gr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bollerslev, Tim & Engle, Robert F & Wooldridge, Jeffrey M, 1988. "A Capital Asset Pricing Model with Time-Varying Covariances," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(1), pages 116-31, February.
- Carol Alexander, 2000. "Orthogonal Methods for Generating Large Positive Semi-Definite Covariance Matrices," ICMA Centre Discussion Papers in Finance icma-dp2000-06, Henley Business School, Reading University.
- Eschenbach, Felix & Schuknecht, Ludger, 2002. "The fiscal costs of financial instability revisited," Working Paper Series 0191, European Central Bank.
- Nijman, T.E. & Sentana, E., 1996.
"Marginalization and contemporaneous aggregation in multivariate GARCH processes,"
Other publications TiSEM
1faf40e0-ce91-45fd-a98d-4, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Nijman, Theo & Sentana, Enrique, 1996. "Marginalization and contemporaneous aggregation in multivariate GARCH processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 71(1-2), pages 71-87.
- Nijman, T.E. & Sentana, E., 1993. "Marginalization and contemporaneous aggregation in multivariate GARCH processes," Discussion Paper 1993-12, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Nijman, T. & Sentana, E., 1993. "Marginalization and Contemporaneous Aggregation in Multivariate Garch Processes," Papers 9312, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Nijman, T. & Sentana, E., 1994. "Marginalization and Contemporaneous Aggregation in Multivariate Garch Proceses," Papers 9419, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Y Financieros-.
- Engle, Robert, 2002. "Dynamic Conditional Correlation: A Simple Class of Multivariate Generalized Autoregressive Conditional Heteroskedasticity Models," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(3), pages 339-50, July.
- M.J.B. Hall, 1996.
"The amendment to the capital accord to incorporate market risk,"
BNL Quarterly Review,
Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 49(197), pages 271-277.
- M.J.B. Hall, 1996. "The amendment to the capital accord to incorporate market risk," Banca Nazionale del Lavoro Quarterly Review, Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 49(197), pages 271-277.
- repec:cup:etheor:v:11:y:1995:i:1:p:122-50 is not listed on IDEAS
- Olivier Ledoit & Pedro Santa Clara & Michael Wolf, 2001.
"Flexible multivariate GARCH modeling with an application to international stock markets,"
Economics Working Papers
578, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Olivier Ledoit & Pedro Santa-Clara & Michael Wolf, 2003. "Flexible Multivariate GARCH Modeling with an Application to International Stock Markets," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 85(3), pages 735-747, August.
- Ledoit, Olivier & Santa-Clara, Pedro & Wolf, Michael, 1999. "Flexible Multivariate GARCH Modeling With an Application to International Stock Markets," University of California at Los Angeles, Anderson Graduate School of Management qt93s6p8gb, Anderson Graduate School of Management, UCLA.
- Engle, Robert F & Sheppard, Kevin K, 2001.
"Theoretical and Empirical Properties of Dynamic Conditional Correlation Multivariate GARCH,"
University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series
qt5s2218dp, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Robert F. Engle & Kevin Sheppard, 2001. "Theoretical and Empirical properties of Dynamic Conditional Correlation Multivariate GARCH," NBER Working Papers 8554, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Simone Manganelli, 2004. "Asset Allocation by Variance Sensitivity Analysis," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 2(3), pages 370-389.
- Gouriéroux, Christian & Laurent, J.P. & Scaillet, Olivier, 1999.
"Sensitivity Analysis of Values at Risk,"
Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales)
2000002, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES), revised 00 Jan 2000.
- C. Gourieroux & J.P. Laurent & O. Scaillet, 2000. "Sensitivity analysis of values at risk," THEMA Working Papers 2000-04, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Christian Gourieroux & Jean-Paul Laurent & Olivier Scaillet, 2000. "Sensitivity Analysis of Values at Risk," Working Papers 2000-05, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Christian Gourieroux & J. P. Laurent & Olivier Scaillet, 2000. "Sensitivity Analysis of Values at Risk," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0162, Econometric Society.
- Tim Bollerslev & Jeffrey M. Wooldridge, 1988. "Quasi-Maximum Likelihood Estimation of Dynamic Models with Time-Varying Covariances," Working papers 505, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Engle, Robert F. & Kroner, Kenneth F., 1995. "Multivariate Simultaneous Generalized ARCH," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(01), pages 122-150, February.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1990. "Modelling the Coherence in Short-run Nominal Exchange Rates: A Multivariate Generalized ARCH Model," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 72(3), pages 498-505, August.
- Manganelli, Simone & Ceci, Vladimiro & Vecchiato, Walter, 2002. "Sensitivity analysis of volatility: a new tool for risk management," Working Paper Series 0194, European Central Bank.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:crt:wpaper:0602. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kostis Pigounakis)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.