Determinants of Innovation and Competition of Component System Technologies in the Local Area Network Industry
This work is concerned with the determinants of innovations and competition of technologies in the case of the Local Area Network industry. It focuses in particular on two suppliers of LAN components: the access technology industry and the internetworking industry. Two elements driving the diffusion are identified, 1) reduction of technological uncertainty, and 2) the extent of network externalities. The effects of these mechanisms on the process of diffusion of technologies into new application domains are analysed through the dynamics of entry and exit of firms in both industries. We find that the effects on the dynamic are different depending on the kind of innovation. The above mechanisms may guarantee a match between suppliers and adopters and foster the innovation diffusion. Nevertheless, it may occur that when an innovation occurs in one of the two industries and the ‘match’ is disrupted it needs time to be re-established, and innovation diffusion may slow down. We speculate on the determinants of these findings and their limitations.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2000|
|Date of revision:||Sep 2000|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.kites.unibocconi.it/
|Order Information:|| Postal: E G E A - via R. Sarfatti, 25 - 20136 Milano -Italy|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Levinthal, Daniel A, 1998. "The Slow Pace of Rapid Technological Change: Gradualism and Punctuation in Technological Change," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 7(2), pages 217-47, June.
- David, Paul A. & Bunn, Julie Ann, 1988. "The economics of gateway technologies and network evolution: Lessons from electricity supply history," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 3(2), pages 165-202.
- Farrell, Joseph & Saloner, Garth, 1988.
"Coordination Through Committees and Markets,"
Department of Economics, Working Paper Series
qt08w115vq, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Farrell, Joseph & Saloner, Garth, 1987. "Coordination Through Committees and Markets," Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt5sn4b6v4, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Joseph Farrell and Garth Saloner., 1988. "Coordination through Committees and Markets," Economics Working Papers 8864, University of California at Berkeley.
- Joseph Farrell and Garth Saloner., 1987. "Coordination Through Committees and Markets," Economics Working Papers 8740, University of California at Berkeley.
- Rebecca Henderson, 1993. "Underinvestment and Incompetence as Responses to Radical Innovation: Evidence from the Photolithographic Alignment Equipment Industry," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 24(2), pages 248-270, Summer.
- Clark, Kim B., 1985. "The interaction of design hierarchies and market concepts in technological evolution," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 14(5), pages 235-251, October.
- Katz, Michael L & Shapiro, Carl, 1985. "Network Externalities, Competition, and Compatibility," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(3), pages 424-40, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cri:cespri:wp117. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Valerio Sterzi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.