The Integration of Financial Markets and the Conduct of Monetary Policies: The Case of Canada and the United States
This paper gauges the international integration hypothesis, i.e. risk-adjusted anticipated returns are identical, even when financial instruments are traded in different countries. This hypothesis is verified by testing the equality between domestic and foreign risk prices induced by a multi-factor analytic specification. The maximum likelihood and Kalman filter estimates are used to assess the national risk prices and interpret the factors. Empirically, the integration of Canadian and U.S. financial markets depends crucially on the risk prices associated with a factor capturing switches in monetary regimes. This finding is contrary to the conventional wisdom that the globalization of capital markets leads to their integration.
|Date of creation:||Jan 1999|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 8888, Downtown Station, Montreal (Canada) Quebec, H3C 3P8|
Phone: (514) 987-6181
Fax: (514) 987-8494
Web page: http://ideas.uqam.ca/CREFE/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sentana, E., 2000.
"Factor Representing Portfolios in Large Asset Markets,"
0001, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Y Financieros-.
- Sentana, Enrique, 2004. "Factor representing portfolios in large asset markets," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 119(2), pages 257-289, April.
- Stanley Fischer, 1981. "Relative Shocks, Relative Price Variability, and Inflation," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 12(2), pages 381-442.
- Karolyi, G Andrew, 1995. "A Multivariate GARCH Model of International Transmissions of Stock Returns and Volatility: The Case of the United States and Canada," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 13(1), pages 11-25, January.
- Stephen R Foerster & G Andrew Karolyi, 1993. "International Listings of Stocks: The Case of Canada and the U.S," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 24(4), pages 763-784, December.
- John H. Cochrane & Lars Peter Hansen, 1992.
"Asset Pricing Explorations for Macroeconomics,"
in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 1992, Volume 7, pages 115-182
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bollerslev, Tim & Chou, Ray Y. & Kroner, Kenneth F., 1992. "ARCH modeling in finance : A review of the theory and empirical evidence," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1-2), pages 5-59.
- Michel Normandin & Pascal St-Amour, 1996.
"Substitution, Risk Aversion, Taste Shocks and Equity Premia,"
- Michel Normandin & Pascal St-Amour, 1998. "Substitution, risk aversion, taste shocks and equity premia," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(3), pages 265-281.
- Normandin, M. & St-Amour, P., 1996. "Substitution, Risk Aversion, Taste Shocks and Equity Premia," Papers 9606, Laval - Recherche en Politique Economique.
- Michel Normandin & Pascal St-Amour, 1996. "Substitution, Risk Aversion, Taste Shocks and Equity Premia," Cahiers de recherche CREFE / CREFE Working Papers 39, CREFE, Université du Québec à Montréal.
- Normandin, Michel & St-Amour, Pascal, 1996. "Substitution, Risk Aversion, Taste Shocks and Equity Premia," Cahiers de recherche 9606, Université Laval - Département d'économique.
- Sentana, Enrique & Fiorentini, Gabriele, 2001.
"Identification, estimation and testing of conditionally heteroskedastic factor models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 102(2), pages 143-164, June.
- Sentana, E. & Fiorentini, G., 1997. "Identification, Estimation and Testing of Conditionally Heteroskedastic Factor Model," Papers 9709, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Y Financieros-.
- Gabriele Fiorentini & Enrique Sentana Iváñez, 1997. "Identification, estimation and testing of conditionally heteroskedastic factor models," Working Papers. Serie AD 1997-22, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Jorion, Philippe & Giovannini, Alberto, 1993.
"Time-series tests of a non-expected-utility model of asset pricing,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 37(5), pages 1083-1100, June.
- Alberto Giovannini & Philippe Jorion, 1989. "Time-Series Tests of a Non-Expected-Utility Model of Asset Pricing," NBER Working Papers 3195, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Solnik, Bruno H, 1977. "Testing International Asset Pricing: Some Pessimistic Views," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 32(2), pages 503-12, May.
- King, Mervyn & Sentana, Enrique & Wadhwani, Sushil, 1994.
"Volatility and Links between National Stock Markets,"
Econometric Society, vol. 62(4), pages 901-33, July.
- Mervyn King & Enrique Sentana & Sushil Wadhwani, 1990. "Volatiltiy and Links Between National Stock Markets," NBER Working Papers 3357, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Diebold, Francis X & Nerlove, Marc, 1989. "The Dynamics of Exchange Rate Volatility: A Multivariate Latent Factor Arch Model," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 4(1), pages 1-21, Jan.-Mar..
- Ng, Victor & Engle, Robert F. & Rothschild, Michael, 1992. "A multi-dynamic-factor model for stock returns," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1-2), pages 245-266.
- Harvey, Andrew & Ruiz, Esther & Sentana, Enrique, 1992. "Unobserved component time series models with Arch disturbances," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1-2), pages 129-157.
- Gultekin, Mustafa N & Gultekin, N Bulent & Penati, Alessandro, 1989. " Capital Controls and International Capital Market Segmentation: The Evidence from the Japanese and American Stock Markets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 44(4), pages 849-69, September.
- Engle, Robert F. & Ng, Victor K. & Rothschild, Michael, 1990.
"Asset pricing with a factor-arch covariance structure : Empirical estimates for treasury bills,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 45(1-2), pages 213-237.
- Robert F. Engle & Victor Ng & Michael Rothschild, 1988. "Asset Pricing with a Factor Arch Covariance Structure: Empirical Estimates for Treasury Bills," NBER Technical Working Papers 0065, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Laurence Booth, 1987. "The Dividend Tax Credit and Canadian Ownership Objectives," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 20(2), pages 321-39, May.
- Roll, Richard & Ross, Stephen A, 1980. " An Empirical Investigation of the Arbitrage Pricing Theory," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 35(5), pages 1073-1103, December.
- Hansen, Lars Peter & Richard, Scott F, 1987. "The Role of Conditioning Information in Deducing Testable," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(3), pages 587-613, May.
- Alexander, Gordon J. & Eun, Cheol S. & Janakiramanan, S., 1988. "International Listings and Stock Returns: Some Empirical Evidence," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 23(02), pages 135-151, June.
- Jorion, Philippe & Schwartz, Eduardo, 1986. " Integration vs. Segmentation in the Canadian Stock Market," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 41(3), pages 603-14, July.
- George L. Perry, 1980. "Inflation in Theory and Practice," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 11(1, Tenth ), pages 207-260.
- Adler, Michael & Dumas, Bernard, 1975. "Optimal International Acquisitions," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 30(1), pages 1-19, March.
- Epstein, Larry G & Zin, Stanley E, 1991. "Substitution, Risk Aversion, and the Temporal Behavior of Consumption and Asset Returns: An Empirical Analysis," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(2), pages 263-86, April.
- Strongin, Steven, 1995. "The identification of monetary policy disturbances explaining the liquidity puzzle," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 463-497, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cre:crefwp:67. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stéphane Pallage)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.